Increasing scent throw in pie candles

Hey everyone, I am so glad that I have stumbled on this site. It is so hard to find someone that does gel candles, let alone pie candles!!! Anyway, I have a dilemma. I have made some pecan pie and blueberry pie candles and they look great, but the scent is very weak. My pie crust are unscented to I am thinking this may take be taking away from the scent throw. While I cannot afford to change pie crusts or make my own since I still have about 50 of these left, but is there anything I can do to increase the scent throw? I was only using .5 fo per lb and since I am using medium density gel, I know I can up that to .75 oz. If I make my own embeds and use the same scent as what is in the gel, will that help the scent throw? I am needing some more embeds, so I need to price out the cost of getting the molds and wax verses buying the premade embeds to see how they compare. I know that it will be time consuming, but well worth it I think in the end.

Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated--thanks!!

Tina

Thanks Vicky for your help. The blueberry and apple slice embeds I buy are scented but the pie crusts are not. So far I have bought all my supplies from a supplier and haven't made my own so I am trying to decide if I want to start making my own embeds and crust so that the entire pie will be scented in the fo that I am using. My delima is I still have @ 50 of these crusts left so I am not exactly sure what to do with them.

Thanks-

Tina

The problem with making your own embeds is getting the waxes MP high enough not to melt with the gel. There is a lot of time and testing involved in doing that.

I do recommend you making your own crust you can buy just a couple of molds and be on your way with very little expense. You can even fine molds in the classifieds sometimes and on ebay pretty cheap. One thing about used pie crust molds they are usually in really good shape no matter how many crust have been poured in them.

Thanks Vicky-

I did decide to purchase a pie mold today and what I plan to do is melt down the pie crusts I have, add some FO and remold them. Then of course test, test, test!

At some point I would llike to make my own embeds using IGI 1260 or 4761, but need to do some more research on what additives I need to add to make them harder so they don't melt under the heat of gel wax.

Thanks for your help!

Tina

• 3 weeks later...

I used the 1260 with just UV, dye, and FO and did not have melting trouble. I may have poured my gel a little cooler than some. I also scented my pie crusts. The thing I made sure of was that the FO I used in my embeds and crust met the gel-safe criteria - non-polar and most of mine had flashpoints around 200. I've seen flashpoint > 170 as the standard.

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Sorry, just saw your reply. I get my FO from Candle and Supplies and Aroma Haven. I am making my own embeds and crusts now and it the throw is much better. I think I have candle nose because my friends say the cold throw is strong also which I can't really smell either. Plus I am test burning them in my kitchen which is open to my dining room and living room, so the space is probably too big for my 5" candle.

Tina