SFIC drying to the skin

Greek

I've done a search and i find little snippets here and there and i have tried every suggestions but can't find a remedy to this situation, so I'm asking again...I have a shea butter and goat milk base from sfic (i purchased them from brambleberry) I am playing around with them (which is outrageous because I paid almost $40 shipping) but the point is no matter what I do, these soap bases dry the hell out my skin.

I don't know what to do and I've let others use it and they all say the same thing so I know it's not me. I don't think it's the base itself because when I try it outright without melting it is fine, but once it melts it gets that way. I don't know what is going on. I don't overheat my pot, i stir in the remaining cubes till they are all melted away from the hot water, I add my oils and try to do so without killing the latter, I've even worked it without adding anything and the soap is still drying.

I then tried covering my base while it melted and poured it in the mold still covered to help keep the moisture and that just made the soap soft, I've added glycerine, shea butter, cocoa butter, almond, castor, LS all of that and still get the same thing. i've let the soap sit for days, I've tried wrapping them as soon as possible. Seriously, you guys seem to have so much success with these bases but i'm not. this sucks can anyone suggests something i may be oblivious to when it comes to this?

Before I starting making CP soap about 5 years ago now, I used SFIC bases and many other M & P bases and also found all of them very drying. That is the main reason I started CP.

Some people like M & P soaps and don't find them drying out their skin, but I personally hated all that I tried!! :cool2:

That's my thing also, I have at least 10 lbs of MP sitting at home, I will keep experimenting till I can figure out what the problem is, and if all falls I will switch to very basic CP recipes. but i don't want my to feel like my money's gone to waste.

I've tried many, many different suppliers for M&P including SFIC and I've yet to find one that doesn't dry out my skin! WSP actually makes me break out in a rash, so I can't use theirs at all even though it was one of the more moist ones I've come across. I go through a boat load of lotion to counteract me constantly working with the M&P. For personal use, I don't even use soap ~ BBW shower gel is the best thing for me. I like CP soaps, but I don't make them, and most I've bought just smell too "soapy" for me ~ I'm just hooked on the BBW scents :)

I'm not saying that m&p can't be drying, but I haven't experienced that. Are you sure they're SFIC bases? I looked at Brambleberry's site and maybe I overlooked it, but I didn't see SFIC mentioned, but they did say they had "exclusive" m&p bases and "its own line" of m&p bases. Maybe they are a custom formula and different from standard SFIC bases???

I don't know if you would want to give this a try or not, I haven't personally tried this yet, but I've seen it suggested to add a tablespoon of lotion to your base for extra moisturization.

I know a lot of MP soap makers, and I've heard many complaints of MP soap being drying to the skin. That was one of my main objectives when I first started making MP soap.. to create a bar that is non drying. I think I have accomplished that. I use a lot of additives in my soaps though, and I don't know if you are willing to do that much with your soap?

The main ingredient that I use to combat dryness though is goat milk.

I use a lot of it in every batch I make.

I never use a goat milk base.. I always add it to a white base. The base I use to begin with is Essentials By Catalina, but in a pinch I've also used SFIC low sweat white. Use a lot.. more than you think you should! It will amaze you!!

I know a lot of MP soap makers, and I've heard many complaints of MP soap being drying to the skin. That was one of my main objectives when I first started making MP soap.. to create a bar that is non drying. I think I have accomplished that. I use a lot of additives in my soaps though, and I don't know if you are willing to do that much with your soap?

My MP is loaded too and it is wonderful. I sell a ton of it and no one complains that it is drying. Soap base is just BASE. You have to make it great for it to be great.

Question to the veteran M&Pers

I have truly enjoyed my soap making adventures, but I will admit that I'm a newbie. I have used several of my creations and I also end up feeling "squeaky" clean and would like more moisture left at the end of the shower.

I've read about everything I can get my hands on, but I'm more of a recipe type person - what additivies would you suggest and at what amounts?

Also, while we are on this topic - any suggestions for a facial bar? I read a recipe today for 4 oz M&P and 2 tsp of cold cream, but from everything I've read, that seems like a lot of additive... opinions?

Thanks so much!

Question to the veteran M&Pers

I have truly enjoyed my soap making adventures, but I will admit that I'm a newbie. I have used several of my creations and I also end up feeling "squeaky" clean and would like more moisture left at the end of the shower.

I've read about everything I can get my hands on, but I'm more of a recipe type person - what additivies would you suggest and at what amounts?

Also, while we are on this topic - any suggestions for a facial bar? I read a recipe today for 4 oz M&P and 2 tsp of cold cream, but from everything I've read, that seems like a lot of additive... opinions?

Thanks so much!

Try the facial bar recipe.. it sounds okay to me!

Add goat's milk to everything! Moisture moisture moisture! Start with 3 or 4 TBS per pound of base.. and then add more if it's not enough.. I add TONS.. it's wonderful and moisturizing and your skin will love it!

I'm another one who thinks some MP is drying to my skin... unless it's been doctored up enough. :) Listen to PA... her soap was the only MP soap I could use that didn't dry me out tremendously. And recently, I used Ruina's (another lovely forum member here) MP soap in a swap and it was DIVINE!

The trick is to keep playing around with small batches, adding this and that, a pinch of this... a splash of that.... until you get what you are trying to achieve. I'm still working on my own MP... because mine still is a tad bit drying to my skin. But it's getting there! Slowly. My fear is too many additives that compromise lather. I've been there, done that, and was not too happy. It's just to find the right balance of additives.

Don't forget to write down everything you add and the amounts! You never know when you'll get the perfect batch of MP soap!

Good Luck!

i add goats milk to my mp bases also, its sooo wonderful, i always add shea butter and olive butter also

sometimes you do lose the big bubbles, but then you get a super creamy, frothy type that is soo moisturizing you dont even miss those big bubbles

sometimes you do lose the big bubbles, but then you get a super creamy, frothy type that is soo moisturizing you dont even miss those big bubbles

My MP has super creamy lather, not big bubbles. But it is A LOT of lather and so wonderful.

The main ingredient that I use to combat dryness though is goat milk.

I use a lot of it in every batch I make.

I never use a goat milk base.. I always add it to a white base. The base I use to begin with is Essentials By Catalina, but in a pinch I've also used SFIC low sweat white. Use a lot.. more than you think you should! It will amaze you!!

Thank you prairieanne, I'll see what I can do. I've been so desperate that I've already brought my lye and wooden box for CP. I think with the exception of lye, CP is quite easy to do. the only thing that worries me about it is the time it takes to cure. i will continue to experiment with MP and take you up to your suggestion, I visited the vitaminshoppe a week ago and saw a can of powdered goat milk. so i'll go back to pick it up.

You will have fun learning to do CP too! It's not difficult, you're right. It's a challenge in different ways, and I hope that you completely enjoy all of your soaping experiences! I love soaping, and love to enable those who want to try! :)

thank you so much PA. I hope to start this weekend, but i'll have to go out and buy my equipment. goggles, thermometer (my glass one broke) and gloves, maybe a face mask. lol

I agree with the poster that said M&P is a base you have to work with to make a good soap. Plus, not all bases are the same so you have to sample different ones to find one you are happy with.

I could say the same thing about CP soap being drying to my skin. I've tried some stinkers that I threw out while others were rich and moisturizing.

So it really depends on the quality of the ingredients you use and a good recipe for a great soap.

Isn't the whole point learning how to make a soap you are happy with that has the qualities you are looking for? You have to learn how to do that. It don't happen overnite!!

• 4 weeks later...

Add goat's milk to everything! Moisture moisture moisture! Start with 3 or 4 TBS per pound of base.. and then add more if it's not enough.. I add TONS.. it's wonderful and moisturizing and your skin will love it!

Do you mean in liquid or powder form? I am VERY new to m&p, so am trying to learn all I can. Thank you!

In liquid form. If you are using powder you add water to it to reconstitute, and you don't have to follow the directions on the can... make it double or triple strength.. enough to shake the crap out of it to get the lumps out! I put it in a gravy shaker, but any cup with a lid will work.. you do have to shake it hard and for quite awhile to make sure the lumps are completely out of it though!

What is the ratio of milk powder to water? ...and alll I need to do is add 3-4 TBSP of the mixed liquid per pound of base? That won't make the base too thin- it will still set up ok in the molds? I have been using individual silicone molds. Thank you!

I love SFIC bases! I use the white, then I add my own goat's milk and oils. Haven't had a problem with drying at all. They are creamy smooth lathery and moisturizing. You have to play until you get the right balance. Unfortunately it expensive during the testing stages. The method I use is perfect, but you'd have to torture me to get my secrets. :laugh2: