Combining Gel and Soy

CaramelsMom

I am looking for information on combining gel wax with a more "standard" wax. I am a complete newbie to this whole thing but love, love, love candles and was wanting to make some for myself, friends and family. My idea was to create cubes of gel wax that would be in a dish with a "standard" wax (I'm thinking soy for its clean burning qualities) poured over.

When combining waxes like this do I need to be aware of the different melt points? As in, since gel burns really hot around your flame but soy doesn't as much what safety precautions do I need to take? I'm trying to minimize damage during the initial testing and creation phase before I've got the hang of it.

Would I still use the zinc core wicks too?

And can someone point me in the direction of a guide to choosing the right wick for your project (ie apothecary jars 4" in diameter with soy and gel combined)

Thanks

Be very careful here the tech you are talking about has been patented. Just be fully aware of this if you are going to do it.

Now on to how to do it is pretty easy. Just stick to non polar FO for both your gel and soy. You pour most soys cool any way so you do not have to worry about your gel melting.

As far as wicking I would double wick that jar and I would not use zinc cored wick. I have never been big on zinc cored I do believe it has it uses but I have found HTP and LX work just as well in both waxes.

I use to make some interesting drink candles layering gel and soy and I never ran in to any problems burning the two waxes together.

Really, patented candles? So I guess it would be okay to make for family and friends but I should probably stay away from selling them.

Okay I will try some of the wicks you suggested and see what happens. Hopefully nothing explodes, lol, I'm accident prone so I'm a little nervous.

Thanks for your help!

I mix gel and soy. I mix gel and paraffin. I've never had a problem either and I do use zinc wicks sometimes. Like Vicky said, do be careful to make sure your oils are gel safe- non polar- oils in both the wax you mix with and the gel. This will help keep the candle safe. Have fun. I was afraid too the first time I mixed gel with another wax. I held my breath and did it. NO EXPLOSION! :yay:

Let us know how it works out for you and maybe post a picture or two.

Soapymoma

• 12 years later...
Guest Lisa Russaw

Hello,

I would like to try and  make wax melts with this gel and soy wax comb. Do you know if this method is still patented ?

Wouldn't that end up to be a bit messy for wax melts?  It doesn't seem that most people would enjoy handling the gel after it's melted along with a soft wax, as it seems as though it would tend to get a bit gooey from the combination -- okay in a candle, but you don't have to touch it at all.  Just a thought.

• 6 months later...