Melt and Pour Soap Additive List!

prairieannie

Hi Kestagano

I love adding silk powder to the mp. I do think/feel a difference and I am sure you will too.

I use 1/2T per 1kg (so 1/2T per 2 lbs). Even this small amount makes a difference.

I mix it into a paste with all the oils/extracts and then add melted soap from a crockpot to it slowly mixing as I go.Then when the paste is runny enough I mix it back into the crockpot. I add a lot of powders so have found this is the best way for me to do it. If you are just adding the silk powder I would mix it with the fo/eo you are using.

Enjoy and please let us know if you like/feel a difference.

jo

Great info, thanks! I made my first batch with silk powder today, but I only added 1 tsp per 2 lbs because I was unsure about how much I could use. :embarasse I'm glad you posted your experience, I will definitely be using more next batch.

Hey I went to Trader Joes yesterday after reading this tread and looked everywhere for them but I could not find them. If you see them at your Trader Joes could you let me know which section you found them. Thanks so much.

They are in with the nuts and dried fruit...but I went to a different Trader's yesterday and they didn't have them. I asked the checker and he said it may have been a one time buy...bummer, I actually liked to eat them! LOL. They do have quite the variety of exotic dried berries that I think would be wonderful in soap.

• 2 weeks later...

Question about these additives: I know there's no cure time required for m&p in general, but would there need to be for these additives to do their thing? For example, adding olive oil is adding a liquid that ends up making the soap harder. So does it take extra time for that hardness to develop?

Me too, I don't notice any difference between one day or 4 weeks.

Once the additive is in it doesnt appear to need a cure time and I would say that it is probably better to use it sooner rather than leave it on the bench unwrapped for weeks to dry it out.

Hope this helps you

jo

• 1 month later...
Oatmeal... I add mine right when it's hot and melted. I then stir, let cool, stir, let cool, and stir, until it get's real thick so my oatmeal stays suspended.

Additives.... hmmm...

I've used oatmeal, oils and butters, extracts, tea infusions, pumpkin.... I've even used carrot juice, baby carrot food, mashed mango and papaya pulp ( just to experiment), goat milk, rice milk, soy milk

My latest successful experiment... I added Sake (Japanese Rice Wine) to my MP. I don't know if it's my imagination or not, but those bars just give off the best bubbles I ever encountered. lol

I need to buy another bottle (something cheap) for soap because I'm diggin' in my personal stash of the good stuff and good Sake is not cheap.

My next experiments are red wine, beer, and maybe some champagne.

How much Sake did you use per pound?

...I added Sake (Japanese Rice Wine) to my MP. I don't know if it's my imagination or not, but those bars just give off the best bubbles I ever encountered. lol

I need to buy another bottle (something cheap) for soap because I'm diggin' in my personal stash of the good stuff and good Sake is not cheap.

My next experiments are red wine, beer, and maybe some champagne.

Hmmm...is this really about m&p additives? :rolleyes2

I'm just saying.... :whistle:

Actually to me that sounds kind of interesting, especially since there is that bath caviar stuff, though I can't exactly remember what it is for. Maybe a layer of jojoba beads suspended in a clear champagne infused M&P with perhaps a champagne and strawberries scent to it. Heck, there are celebrities that bathe in the stuff, it woulden't suprize me if there are people willing to pay to lather with it.

Excuse me for popping my head in here (having only experimented with candlemaking so far and I shouldn't even be CONTEMPLATING anything else, lol!) but I ventured around in this forum today and saw some AWESOME swirled soap that made me think.........ahhhh.....the creativity!!!

Anyway, this might be a really really dumb question, and I hesitate to ask, but as I said, I know NOTHING about soap making....but I see that goats milk is an additive commonly used.

I'm thinking...how doesn't this or yoghurt go off?

Do all the other ingredients preserve it and stop it from going rancid? Or what specifically?

Another question I have, as I see in this list is that it seems more often than not essential oils are added rather than body safe fragrant oils?

My daughter bought me some hand made soap from the markets recently...rose/geranium scent, it said.

It lathers beautifully....frothy and creamy but even when she first gave it to me all I could smell was soap, rather than the scent.

I've found with our scented potpourii that the essential oils seem to lose their scent rather quickly, compared to the fragrant oils.

Is this the same case with soaps?

I love my soaps to be nicely fragranced, so I was a little disappointed that although my new handmade soap gift feels lovely and moisturising to the skin (and I think I will buy handmade soap from now on!), it just lacks the nice smell to go along with it.

Tracy

The added Goat's milk is typically powdered, especially when added to MP soap. Fresh milk in melt & pour soap probably would go sour with time.

As for EOs, it's a matter of preference. I never use EOs in soap myself, too pricey for my tastes and too finicky as well. I like a good FO that lasts.

Was your soap really "rose/geranium" or the more common rose geranium?

Our more experienced soapers and EO users know how much of what combinations of EOs to use to combat fading. Perhaps the crafter who made your soap wasn't as thorough with their testing process as they could have been? That issue is merely one of the many reasons so many soapers discourage anyone from selling soap before they've been able to see how their soaps look and smell after a year.

Well crafted soap, even EO soap, should keep its scent to the last bubble!

Might I suggest you buy some bars from some of our members here to compare? There are some amazing soaps of every type being sold on member websites and Etsy pages. :yay:

Surprisingly enough fresh goat's milk or fresh any kind of milk doesn't go bad in MP soap. I'm not really sure what it is that preserves it, but I've never had a bar go rancid on me before.

Some folks just make very lightly scented soaps, because some customers don't really want to smell like the soap after showering or bathing with it. I, on the other hand, LOVE to have that scent linger on my skin after a bath or shower and scent my soaps accordingly.

Essential oils are generally much stronger and require much less in soap than fragrance oils. Some folks I think are afraid that too much will be too strong, and they just don't add enough. You will find soapmaking styles all over the board where differences are concerned, and just like anything else you buy in the bath and body department you kind of have to search til you find what you love. When you're making it, you have to test until you find what works best for you!

We love to enable people around here though, so keep on reading the forums and you'll get a feel for what sounds the best to you.. then jump in and get busy with it! Don't be afraid to ask questions, many folks on this board are happy to help! :)

Thankyou! :)

I can see at some stage that my husband and I WILL end up experimenting with soap, if only just for our own use or for friends and family.

It just looks so wonderfully creative and I'm sure is FAR better for your skin than the store bought stuff.

We're in Australia....not that that matters much as far as testing out some of the products from you guys over there :) but right now we've had unexpected news that we have to move interstate in a hurry so I'm sure at some stage when we get settled we'll be back to do more reading here.

Tracy

• 1 month later...
Apparently we should not be adding liquid milk to any M&P product. Very active discussion on another forum. I do not sell my soap. What I have made I have used for immediate use. PA chime in if you will please.

Hi Judette,

I am unaware of which forum you are speaking of...

What reasons do they give for not using liquid milk in M&P on the other forum?

I always use liquid goat's milk.. rarely do I use the powder.. only if I'm in dire straits!!

I guess I've never had the soap around long enough to have to worry about rancidity, but you'd think if it were going to turn it would do it rather quickly..

within a few months.

I always use unpasteurized fresh goat milk... never a problem!

I can only give you my own experience!

Check out the Dish. I mentioned that I use fresh GM. Got blasted for doing so. Actually using any milk in MP got blasted. Apparently a rancidity issue. Some said that after a brief period of time the soap smelled like vomit. I don't make a lot of MP but I have used fresh

GM and it does make for a very creamy bar. I will continue to make it and continue to use it. I do not sell and there might be an issue of selling with it [unpasteurized] in it.

Well, I do sell, and I do use goat's milk and other milk sometimes too. I plan to continue to do so! I've been doing it for a few years, and I have honestly never had one go bad.. I'm pretty sure that I'd hear complaints if that were the case too, but whatevah!!

It works for me! :cheesy2:

I love the creativity of this thread !! I have only dabbled with M&P bases alone adding FO, and am going to play this week a bit with some GM and OMH bases. From my previous experiences I don't get much lather . . .what should I add to increase my bubbles and keep yet keep the soap hard through out the bar?

I love the creativity of this thread !! I have only dabbled with M&P bases alone adding FO, and am going to play this week a bit with some GM and OMH bases. From my previous experiences I don't get much lather . . .what should I add to increase my bubbles and keep yet keep the soap hard through out the bar?

What base are you using? I find some bases just don't lather well to begin with. I would cut off a piece of your base and test it several times to make sure its a good lathering base to begin with. Next, some bases may seem okay until you add ingredients to it. A great base should allow you to put in a lot of additives and still lather great.

What base are you using? I find some bases just don't lather well to begin with. I would cut off a piece of your base and test it several times to make sure its a good lathering base to begin with. Next, some bases may seem okay until you add ingredients to it. A great base should allow you to put in a lot of additives and still lather great.

I use the SFIC Goat's Milk and Oatmeal . . is there other brands that lather better before additives?