Melt and Pour Soap Additive List!

prairieannie

Oatmeal... I add mine right when it's hot and melted. I then stir, let cool, stir, let cool, and stir, until it get's real thick so my oatmeal stays suspended.

Additives.... hmmm...

I've used oatmeal, oils and butters, extracts, tea infusions, pumpkin.... I've even used carrot juice, baby carrot food, mashed mango and papaya pulp ( just to experiment), goat milk, rice milk, soy milk

My latest successful experiment... I added Sake (Japanese Rice Wine) to my MP. I don't know if it's my imagination or not, but those bars just give off the best bubbles I ever encountered. lol

I need to buy another bottle (something cheap) for soap because I'm diggin' in my personal stash of the good stuff and good Sake is not cheap.

My next experiments are red wine, beer, and maybe some champagne.

I've used oatmeal, oils and butters, extracts, tea infusions, pumpkin.... I've even used carrot juice, baby carrot food, mashed mango and papaya pulp ( just to experiment), goat milk, rice milk, soy milk

The pumpkin and mango sound interesting. Are there any actual benefits for the skin with these, or is it mostly for fun? I just ordered some bases and I can't wait to try different additives.

I've been reading about the super health benefits of Gogi berries in the diet and how they have really taken off and are finding their way into body products. These little dried red berries are high in antioxidents and from what I've read help with all kinds of health related issues.

Anybody use them or know where I can find them? I'm wondering if they are doable in M&P. Or at least I could add them to my lotions and body creams.

I would also like to find out about adding ground pumice to my M&P. Anybody tried it? I hear it makes a fabulous gardeners soap or 'man's soap' like the old Lava soaps.

The pumpkin and mango sound interesting. Are there any actual benefits for the skin with these, or is it mostly for fun? I just ordered some bases and I can't wait to try different additives.

I tried the pumpkin and mango just for fun. No doubt they probably have skin benefits, but since it's in a wash off product, your skin probably doesn't benefit much.

My advice.... if you're going to just play around, do small batches, and use a light hand with additives like food. You can always use higher amounts after you experiment and see what you prefer and what works with your particular base.

Have fun!

Not sure if you have Trader Joe's in your neck of the woods Candybee, but they have dried Gogi berries. I would think any health food store would also carry them. Unless you want to buy in bulk.

Hey I went to Trader Joes yesterday after reading this tread and looked everywhere for them but I could not find them. If you see them at your Trader Joes could you let me know which section you found them. Thanks so much.

I just found this US wholesale distributer of certified organic grown Goji berries. They have the dried kind and I may just get me some. Here's the link for anyone who wants to read up on them and try them out:

http://www.gojiberries.us/gojiberriesdried.aspx

Kandlecrazy-- thanks for the tip re Trader Joes. Unfortunately I live out in the country and there isn't one out here in the sticks!! Haha!

Ok question how much castor oil and vitamin E do you use in a pound of soap base?

Go back and read the my post at the top of page 2. For the vitamin E I would not add more than 1/2 to 1 tsp per lb. If you use the Vitamin E capsules I puncture two capsules and squeeze the contents into my melted base and blend thoroughly.

Noni juice and dry noni leaves

Aloe - direct from the plant the real deal

oatmeal - in my OMH soaps. I pour a layer, sprinkle oatmeal let it set, pour another layer and let more oatmeal set on top. Love the scrubbie feel.

Vit E

liquid glycerin

Isopropyl Myristate

Shea oil & butter, mango butter, cocoa butter

castor, olive, veg oils

peppermint leaves

lavender flowers and leaves

goat's milk

teas herbal and lipton lol

cocoa powder

beeswax

I try anything once

I have a goat milk question: I could not find the powdered, only the evaporated in a can. It has no expiration date on it, but shouldn't I assume it will go bad within a few days after opening the can? And wouldn't it go bad in the soap at some point??? I guess I'll freeze the leftover to use at a later date.

I have a goat milk question: I could not find the powdered, only the evaporated in a can. It has no expiration date on it, but shouldn't I assume it will go bad within a few days after opening the can? And wouldn't it go bad in the soap at some point??? I guess I'll freeze the leftover to use at a later date.

I have been making goat milk soap for a very long time, and the gm has never gone bad in my soap.

I have used all kinds of GM too.. fresh and evaporated in the can do pose a special problem, because of the leftovers. Here's what I do..

I freeze what is left over in ice cube trays. The next time I make soap, I just toss GM cubes into the pot.. A few per pound of base.. or however you want to do it.. Works very well! :) Good luck!

• Like 1

Wow what a great thread for us mpers!! I love it. PA thanks for starting it - great to see just how much we can add.

My list of additives that I have used are the same as PA's plus some of these that I am sure she has tried!

Salt for a salt bar

FBB

Silk powder

Apricot Kernel Oil

Green Tea Extract

Nettle Extract

Rosemary, yarrow, horsetail

Home made Vanilla Infusion in jojoba

Vanilla Stabiliser

Australian Native Herbs, Sea Parsley, Wattleseed, Rosella Flowers, Lemon Myrtle Leaves, Saltbush

Bee Propolis

Aussie and French Clays,

Ultramarines, oxides, pop colors, glitters, neon colors, lakes

Really as Hawaiiansun said I will add anything once. If I hear it has been added to cp I just try it in mp! :yay: Usually it works, but there have been spectacular duds too! :laugh2: That's part of the fun.

Thanks again for starting this thread, great for reference for all of us.

jo

curlycoat2

Melbourne, Australia

What about wheatgerm oil? I'm experimenting today with my Goat Milk M&P. I have some castor oil on order, but this is what I have on hand today.

OK, I did a google search and see that you can use it in soap making....M&P also? At what amount per lb.?

Thanks!

Carrie

Yes, you can use it, and I'd stick to the same ratio as most other oils.. 1 to 2 T per pound.. depending on what else you've got in there!!

Not sure about labeling on the wheat germ oil, are folks with wheat allergies going to be allergic to that?

Yes, you can use it, and I'd stick to the same ratio as most other oils.. 1 to 2 T per pound.. depending on what else you've got in there!!

Not sure about labeling on the wheat germ oil, are folks with wheat allergies going to be allergic to that?

Thanks PA! You know, I didn't think about the wheat allergy people.....maybe I'll just stick with castor oil..... I'm experimenting right now...so these won't be for sale....family use for testing only....

Thanks again!

Carrie

Hi Kestagano

I love adding silk powder to the mp. I do think/feel a difference and I am sure you will too.

I use 1/2T per 1kg (so 1/2T per 2 lbs). Even this small amount makes a difference.

I mix it into a paste with all the oils/extracts and then add melted soap from a crockpot to it slowly mixing as I go.Then when the paste is runny enough I mix it back into the crockpot. I add a lot of powders so have found this is the best way for me to do it. If you are just adding the silk powder I would mix it with the fo/eo you are using.

Enjoy and please let us know if you like/feel a difference.

jo