Furniture polish recipe

Jeana

Ok I know this isn't bath, body, or cosmetics but I don't know where else to put this. Anyway,

I made a recipe for furniture polish that I would like to share and ask advice from anyone who makes natural house cleaners.

I only made a small batch total of 10.25 oz

Here is the recipe:

Water 8 oz (78%)

Ewax 1 oz (10%)

Olive Oil .75 oz (7%)

Vinegar .25 (2%)

Lemon oil .25 (2%)

I heated everything together, whipped it with a mixer, let it cool, then put it in a spray bottle.

I love the consistency not watery at all, and it smells refreshing. My only concern is that it doesn't leave a shine on the furniture afterward. Could this be because of the vinegar? Or should I up the amount of OO?

Are there other EOs that are safe to use on wood besides Lemon?

I'm not an expert by any means whatsoever, but I'd be concerned about having vinegar in any recipe that goes onto finishes. I know it eats through car paint (don't ask), I would assume it does the same for all finishes over time, even in small amounts. If it's not shining, it could possibly be the vinegar eating at the fresh shine before.

Here is a couple of recipes I pulled up online: (note none have vinegar)

Polish wood with 2 tsp. lemon oil and 1 pint mineral oil in spray bottle. Spray, rub in and wipe clean.

Mix two parts olive oil to one part lemon juice. After rubbing the mixture in, let stand for several hours and then polish with a soft, dry cloth.

Melt 1 tbsp. carnauba wax into two pints mineral oil. Use sparingly and rub hard.

I did find one that called for White Vinegar and Lemon Juice.

Then I found some that called for Beeswax, Carnuba Wax, Linseed Oil and Turpentine.

Maybe for your recipe do what is listed in the first one posted here and go back a couple hours later and polish with the soft dry cloth. Maybe then you will see the shine.

Dunno though as I have never tried any of these.

Angi

Oh shoot.

I recently used a home made furniture polish, and man did I ever like it.

I WISH I had the recipe for it.

It was an emulsified cream that had beeswax, honey and even some water in it.

There was also some ground cinnamon in it, just a tich and some cinnamon eo.

With the eo in it I was hesitant at first to use it. That was why it took me so long to try it out!

Was worried about it messsing up the finish. It didn't, and it smelled so good.

It was made by someone that had the username Red Rosie, and got it in a Christmas swap one year.

I used it on an old rocking chair that belonged to my father and it looked gorgeous afterward, still does BTW.

*label says: pure vegetable oils, distilled water, coconut oil, raw beeswax, parrafin wax, sweet orange eo, cinnamon, cinnamon extract, preservative.

I'm not an expert by any means whatsoever, but I'd be concerned about having vinegar in any recipe that goes onto finishes. I know it eats through car paint (don't ask), I would assume it does the same for all finishes over time, even in small amounts. If it's not shining, it could possibly be the vinegar eating at the fresh shine before.

I had the same thoughts about the vinegar, I think it is too cleansing for wood. I will leave it out next time.

I like the idea of adding coconut oil and/or linseed oil. I think those would add more shine without getting a build up. I bet adding orange and cinnamon EO would smell sooo good.

I read that having waxes in furniture polish can build up and make it difficult to refinish furniture in the future, so it guess it is best to stay away from those. I think I'll back of the ewax too. But I do like having the water and oils emulsified.

Just doing a quick search on google, I came up with several links for recipes.

On DIY there were 3, and one used vinegar, stating that it cleaned the wood.

Three Royal Furniture Polish Recipes

Note: Once these homemade recipes have been mixed, pour them in clean, labeled glass or plastic containers.

Recipe #1

1 cup mineral oil

3 drop of lemon oil or extract

Recipe #2

2 oz. grated beeswax

5 oz. turpentine

Recipe #3

1 cup olive oil

1/4 cup white vinegar

Note: The oil nourishes the wood while the vinegar cleans it.

Recipes #1 and #2 can be stored in glass or plastic (make sure they're clean) containers, but #3 should be poured into a spray bottle.

• 13 years later...