Fragrance Winners in EVERY candle!

it's primarily an issue with citrus oils - we have trouble too. strangely, cheaper FOs may work better - tho they may not smell as nice.

I wish there was a solution - it's like the vanilla browning thing: you can accomplish almost anything but there's a significant tradeoff.

eta: you might try adding the tiniest bit of patchouli. at least that's what we had to do for some of our plug-in oils.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Honest offer - if you have questions about how the industry operates or about other technical fragrance stuff please don't hesitate to ask me. what I can't answer from my own knowledge or experience I'll happily ask our chemists and perfumers. Or heck, even our sales people.

Thanks for the offer - It's always nice to interact with helpful people!!

Sometimes the suppliers are cheaper than the manufacturers because of the quantity you may order.

I completely understand the cost issues involved with buying fragrance oils for a lot of people, but my main concern has been with getting a good quality HT with many of the oils I have purchased from suppliers. I have found a few FO's from suppliers that I am fairly pleased with for the most part but would much rather buy direct from a local mfgr in larger quantities on the popular fragrances and skip the shipping. Another plus to this is that I can call up the mfgr and tell her (for example) that I want an intense floral with hints of lavender and vanilla and then I can go there a week later to sniff test and get samples to take home and test in the candles. So then I have a custom fragrance, no shipping, and I get to skip the hassle of having to guess at what I think is going to smell good based on the suppliers description of what smells good or has a good HT to them. I have ordered hundreds of sample FO's through various suppliers over the years and I must say it really sucks when you read about how "great" the scent throw is on a supplier site only to find out it smells awful IMO. I will of course still need to purchase some samples from time to time to get ideas but if I like one, I plan to just take it to the mfgr to have it duped if it is something I will be using alot.

Well... I have never smelled custom blended fragrances (or any for that matter) straight from the manufacturer, but I have found MANY fragrances from different suppliers that I really liked and found worked just as well as the ones in the high-priced candles I've sniffed made by companies who have their scents blended by the barrel... I often blend my own special blends from EOs and FOs I purchase from regular ol' suppliers. Haven't found a anyone yet whose stuff I like 100% of the time. I doubt, in the quantities I buy, that a manufacturer would have custom-blended samples from which I could choose my one or two measly pounds of FO!! :rolleyes2

Like many folks here, I just don't make enough stuff to justify purchasing a large quantity of oil at one time since I want my stuff to be relatively fresh for my products, so it doesn't pay me to have a lot sitting around oxidizing or whatever FOs do when they aren't being used quickly. Sure would be fun to get to sniff and sample the way that you do, though...

Sounds like your operation is a lot bigger than my little cottage industry. I hope you have great success finding just what you are looking for in fragrances. :)

Sure would be fun to get to sniff and sample the way that you do, though... :)

Hi Stella, I have found that in most cases, the mfgrs want your business and are more than happy to come up with a custom FO for their customer.... just gotta ask. IMO, some of the smaller candle crafters are under the impression that they cannot afford to buy direct. In my experience, minimum orders can be negotiated and deals can be made. We are all in the business of creativity which needs to carry over into purchasing supplies as well as selling the end product.

Hi Stella, I have found that in most cases, the mfgrs want your business and are more than happy to come up with a custom FO for their customer.... just gotta ask. IMO, some of the smaller candle crafters are under the impression that they cannot afford to buy direct. In my experience, minimum orders can be negotiated and deals can be made. We are all in the business of creativity which needs to carry over into purchasing supplies as well as selling the end product.

If you get what you want without shipping costs, then you have it made. I still believe that the suppliers are cheaper as they buy huge quantities and you would be better off buying from them

Unfortunately, there are no manufacturers to my knowledge in my driving area. Unless one lives in a fairly populated area, they don't exist. That's why suppliers are so wonderful. Like I said - I cannot believe ANY manufacturer would bother with a small-time operation like mine. I don't think ANY of them are THAT hungry... I have plenty of selections from the suppliers I use - the last thing I need to do at this point is put another buncha folks into the equation whose products I have to test, etc. I just do not have that much "shopping" and testing time available.

I'm glad it works for you, Bev, but that may have a lot to do with your location, the products you are making and the quantity.

• 10 months later...

I know this is an old post, but I just wanted to say that in regards to suppliers "watering down" their oils: I know a woman that works for a reputable FO supplier, she admits that they DO dilute their oils.

I think its silly how everyone attacked Beverly the way they did. This thread is supposed to help others.....I found her information very helpful and informative and in my opinion very true. It's frustrating when we spend so much money on crappy oils that don't perform well. We are all on this site looking to perfect our product and we should help each other. I did not know that this site was organized by a supplier, which is fine but shouldn't keep people from giving their honest opinion.

I know this is an old post...I think its silly how everyone attacked Beverly the way they did
Then WHY did you bring it back up?:rolleyes2 Since you were not part of the original discussion (quite a few comments were deleted) you may not even understand *now* what went on *then*! Before dredging up an old contentious thread and putting in your 2¢ worth on what others had to say, you might wonder if there was a REASON people made the comments they did and everyone let the matter drop...
I found her information very helpful and informative and in my opinion very true.
Why? Because one person with whom you are acquainted works for someone who dilutes their oils? PuhLEEZE! :rolleyes2

As for the information shared, there are many threads here about fragrance manufacturers from which one could learn in addition to this one...

I did not know that this site was organized by a supplier, which is fine but shouldn't keep people from giving their honest opinion.
It isn't a secret - one could have learned that by simply reading...:rolleyes2 You're entitled to your opinion, so let me express mine: When YOU form your own forum, then YOU can make YOUR own rules! The folks who run this site do a damned fine job of not suppressing people's opinions & comments (unless they get totally outtahand). Frankly, I don't think you must read a lot of other forums if you think censorship is a problem here... :rolleyes2
That is too bad...how do you order from a manufacturer?
The same way you order from anyone - you either go to their site and follow their ordering instructions or you call them on the phone and do what they say...:rolleyes2

I know this is an old post, but I just wanted to say that in regards to suppliers "watering down" their oils: I know a woman that works for a reputable FO supplier, she admits that they DO dilute their oils.

I think its silly how everyone attacked Beverly the way they did. This thread is supposed to help others.....I found her information very helpful and informative and in my opinion very true. It's frustrating when we spend so much money on crappy oils that don't perform well. We are all on this site looking to perfect our product and we should help each other. I did not know that this site was organized by a supplier, which is fine but shouldn't keep people from giving their honest opinion.

Almost every candle board is hosted or sponsored by a supplier. Also, at or around the time that crap all went on, the owner of Peak's was pretty active on the board. And he gave a lot of us a lot of help. Some of us who have been here a while get a little protective.

The biggest problem, though was the CoOp thing. It was a violation of the board rules. New people aren't allowed to run a CoOp, so that scammers don't come in and rip people off. You have to be here a while and be known to us. This doesn't guarantee anything but it shifts the odds of the hostess being honest, in our favor.

So a newbie was badmouthing a freind of ours, then violated the board rules, then got mouthy with the mods, when they called her on it.

Note that her remarks about FOs weren't removed. She wasn't censored by the sponsor or the mods. It was mainly the other board members who tied into her. In short they were giving THIER honest opinion.

So a newbie was badmouthing a freind of ours, then violated the board rules, then got mouthy with the mods, when they called her on it.

I remember all that, but like you said, she was a newbie and she did not know a supplier ran this board. Someone else suggested to her she run a co-op, and she couldn't get to the rules at the time because, like you said, she was new here. When people got mouthy at her because she didn't understand what was going on, she got mouthy back. It can't all be blamed on her.

So how about not feeding to the frenzy again? Other members here need to find another outlet for their hostilities and quit chomping at the bit. So what if a thread got dragged up? We all know that simply not responding causes it to disappear again, right. Perhaps people who have been members longer could initiate some restraint and patience toward newer members. Geesh.

Edited by Scented