Fragrance Winners in EVERY candle!

I recently ordered fragrance samples straight from a few different manufacturers rather than through a supplier and this is what I found.....

Every one of them performed like the luxury brands. I have ordered roughly 30 fragrance samples from re-sellers in the past 6 months and tested each. I am disappointed to say that 90% of them didn't perform well at all. Either the scent throw was crap or my candle burned all wonky. Interesting how when I test straight from mfgr., everything seems to work out just fine in all areas. I can actually say that I am getting the same scent throw now as the big luxury brands as well as a clean burning candle.

Shout out to all the re-sellers of fragrance.....please stop diluting your fragrance oils! I know you say you don't, but I can say from my comparisons that is a downright lie! I just may get into the fragrance business and finally offer a quality product and reasonable minimum orders......

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have removed all info about a co-op Please Beverly before you make a lot of plans read here

http://www.craftserver.com/forums/showpost.php?p=22858&postcount=1

http://www.craftserver.com/forums/showpost.php?p=105584&postcount=2

http://www.craftserver.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11407

You have a little over 5 months before you can even think about doing a co-op here.

Wow! Seems that some of you got a little worked up about the fact that I am doing well with this in my short time here. (looks like some of the posts have been removed).Here is a little history..... I have been working for years off and on to create "my" perfect candle and in the past 8 months or so I have worked on this almost daily going through several cases of wax, wicks and FO's from a multitude of re-sellers. In the meantime, I found a manufacturer of candles in my area that I was happy with and private label those. I am adding one or two of the candles that I make at a time in order to avoid having to purchase 80 Fo's at a time. So, it's with the private label candles that I am doing the fundraiser and parties with and now I am able to add a couple of my own to the mix and will keep building my inventory from there.

[edit]

Vicky, I might have known that I couldn't do a co-op had I been able to get the link to the rules page.... I emailed the administrator last night about not being able to pull up the page. I doubt I would have even given a co-op a thought in the first place had someone else not suggested it to me.

Off to the FO mfgr!

That should have said something right there a co-op can not be hosted unless you can read the rules.

Here is the copied and pasted version.

Co-op information and Guidelines

What is a co-op?

Co-ops are when people get together and purchase a bulk amount of product at a reduced price.

Quote:

Traditionally a hostess would be in need of an item. A bulk purchase would warrant a price break from the supplier. She would solicit others to "go in" on a purchase from the supplier to obtain the price break. In trade for others helping her to obtain a better price, the hostess would volunteer her time to pack and ship the product.

The hostess is the person who researches the product and organizes the co-op. The hostess collects payment from the participants and orders the bulk product, then repacks product (if necessary) and ships it out to the participants. Sometimes a hostess charges a "hostess fee" for their work to help cover supplies, shipping, etc. Generally co-ops will save you money on the product, but this is not always the case. It is always a good idea to research the product, on your own, before participating in a co-op, and ask the hostess questions if needed. Occasionally a co-op falls through and the hostess needs to refund the money collected.

Anyone who meets the credentials below can run/participate in co-ops, however Suppliers may not run co-ops on items they carry. Only one co-op or gauging interest thread per hostess. No fast-buys (purchasing a large amount of product and selling of the excess).

Things co-op participants should look for, or ask information on:

- Where are the goods coming from? You may want to order the product in the future - will you be able to get the SAME product again?

- What are the regular prices? How much will you save from participating in the co-op? By looking for the original pricing structure on the product you will be able to see if you are getting a good deal... or not.

- Is the hostess profiting from this? If a hostess is charging a $5 fee, for example, and has 50 people in the co-op - that is a VERY substantial amount of money. Oftentimes hostess fees are needed to cover expenses such as shipping supplies, repackaging materials, etc. That is normal and usually expected. But be wary of co-ops where the hostess is charging and exorbitant amount in either product prices or fees.

Still want to participate in or organize a co-op? Continue on to the rules below.

second page

UPDATED (03/07)

The Co-op Listing Form MUST be filled out in it's entirety when starting a co-op/gauging interest. The form is here. If this form is not filled out correctly it will be removed. This form serves two purposes and is to be used when gauging interest AND/OR starting a co-op. If you do not get the level of interest you would like, or meet your minimums, the co-op simply discontinues. Contact a moderator to change the status of your co-op.

• For participation in this section you must be 18 years of age or older, have 30 days membership and 8 posts. You must be a member in good standing.

• To host a co-op in this section you must have 6 months membership and be an active member of the community.

• Co-ops may be run on items used in the production of bath & body / candle related items only.

• Co-op hosting is a privilege, not a right and can be suspended or revoked.

• Co-op information should be contained in the co-op section. Any gauging interest posts outside of this section will be deleted without notice.

Participation in co-ops is done at your own risk. CandleTech, and the moderators of this forum, assume no responsibility for co-ops. We do not mediate or screen hostesses or participants. Please use your own prudent judgment when electing to participate in any co-ops. All transactions are the responsibility of you and the host.

1. Hosts can operate no more than one Co-op at a time. This means if you have a co-op that is not finalized* you can not start another co-op. (*when all items ordered have reached their destination)
  2. Money must be collected by the qualified host running the Co-op and the product must be shipped by qualified host running the Co-op -- A co-op may only have one host(ess).

3. Hosting privileges are at the discretion of the board owner/moderator and may be revoked if abused.

4. Keep all information regarding the Co-op limited to one thread. If two threads are open on the same co-op one will be deleted.
  5. Once all products have been shipped by the hostess, the hostess should contact a moderator to change the status to "SHIPPED" in the subject line and give feedback to the participants, if you wish.

Hosts and participants are encouraged to periodically copy relevant information to your own hard drive if you feel you might need this for any reason. CandleTech is not responsible for maintaining back-ups in the event of a deletion or hardware failure.

Co-ops in violation of the rules will be removed without notice.

I have got samples from the MFGR and I have found that they are exactly the same as the best suppliers. I suggest you use a good quality supplier.

Next just because everyone uses the same name for a FO does not mean it comes from the same manufacturer.

You explained lot # in one of your deleted post that should have told you a lot about buying FO from the source. That their is not just one source and that FO will be different from each source even if they smell the same.

Beverly, you simply just have to post in the co-op section, about purchasing from a manufacturer. In the co-op section, you do a gauging interest thread to start. If enough people want to participate, then you will just post that its a go. I'm sure many here would participate.;)

Well, I have used samples from CS (which had a nice Mistletoe) but the others I tried werent great - some were good but lacking the greatness in the HT that I am looking for and found recently with the samples I received from the mfgr. I had the same experiences with the other recommended suppliers that are constantly mentioned on this board. I won't mention all of their names.... I did get a couple good ones from Scented Nest though. Like I said in my original post, 90% of the FO's I tried from all suppliers combined were awful but I did get lucky with some of them. That said, I will more than likely continue to try oils from various manufacturers as I go along but will be purchasing the 5 needed for the collection I am releasing this spring direct from the local manufacturer. They have duplicated a few fragrances for me in the past for the body care line and since they are local (ie no shipping), I will most likely have them handle all of my future additions, duplications, etc...

Hi Leisa,

Thanks for the response. however, it seems as if I need to be an active member for 6 months before I can post in a co-op. In the meantime, I am just going to get the FO's from the manufacturer that I need and maybe if people are still interested in the given amount of time I will post a co-op.

If you decide to go into business, I certainly hope your customer service skills are better than your tact. Extremely tacky to come onto a board that is sponsored by a supplier and state... YOU ARE ALL LIARS, YOU DILUTE YOUR OILS.

I use 3 major suppliers and generally before I blame an FO, I check my blends... particularly if a candle is "burning all wonky". Weak throw.. yeah, that can be caused by dilution, either at the mfg. level or simply not enough in your wax. But a "wonky" burn is generally the fault of the chandler, not the oil. Only times I've ever, in 5 years, had candles burn wrong is when I either did not wick properly, or I did not mix properly, or I used too much of a "heavy" FO. Most of the companies discussed on this board over and over are tried and true for their quality and throw... and if others can get a high quality strong throw with a clean burn.......

I apologize if I came off less than tactful but I thought these boards were here to post our results using different methods, wicking, and fragrance oils as well.... I have found alot of good information here (um the purpose of the forum correct) as well as some not so useful information. I'm just trying to make candles. I have a certain standard that I aim to achieve and simply wasn't getting the results I wanted from the many suppliers I tried. I did however post my successful results on what I tried from a mfgr and got attacked for it by some. Am I not allowed to say that I am unhappy with certain suppliers or do I have to kiss somebody's a** to post here and be "allowed" to express my opinion? Why can't I just say what is working for me without all of this BS? I'm very happy for you that you like the FO's that you use..... and now I'm happy with mine too!

Wow! Seems that some of you got a little worked up about the fact that I am doing well with this in my short time here.

Really? A week ago you couldn't even figure out which wax to use.

I'm pretty sure the only one worked up is you. Maybe if you would try some good suppliers, you wouldn't be so quick to make accusations of dilution. Keep looking. There are plenty of really good suppliers out there.

:D

Why can't I just say what is working for me without all of this BS?

That would be nice. The BS is coming from you when you blatantly accuse suppliers, pretty much ALL of them, of diluting oils. Shame, shame. You don't know what you're talking about, that much is clear.

And no, I'm not a supplier, and never will be one. It took me years to figure out which were the good ones. Not just a week.

Keep trucking along. You'll get there. It's called TESTING!

Look, I have the time as well as the resources to work on this alot! It's practically all I have been doing for the past several months. Just because I just started posting here doesn't mean that I am completely new to this. I mentioned in another thread that I got the help of a supplier/chandler in my area and it worked...... I don't understand why anyone has a problem with this???? I have a formula that works for me. I would be thrilled for anyone new here to have come up with a formula that works for them...... Did it ever occur to you that I just might have a candle that I'm happy with and managed to achieve that by asking questions, trying alot of products and not giving up? Why anyone has a problem with that is beyond me.....

I am new to the boards myself... and I don't think the problem is your "success". The problem is your attitude and the fact that anytime anyone has a dissenting opinion from your own, you feel you are being "attacked".

It just gets to me that so many newer chandlers are quick to blame everyone but their own methods when things aren't going how they expect. After 4 years with the same wax, I am now experimenting with soy... but I have the sense to know that things aren't going to be the same in this wax as they are my old ones. Hence, if I have a burn issue or a scent issue, I'm going to assume the problem is me until I've got conclusive evidence otherwise. PARTICULARLY if its a burn issue. As I said before, scent issues can sometimes be blamed on the maker, but burn issues are almost ALWAYS an issue with the chandler. There are so many variables that it seems almost ridiculous to blame "wonky burning candles" on the FO!