How Not To Start A Candle Business

Debra Phelps

I found this on line, and couldn't agree more. Boy they said, just what I am thinking it. Thought you might like to read it. We are getting away from the store, and the wholesale and just doing on line, and our regular customers. I can't wait. http://www.articlesbase.com/small-business-articles/how-to-not-start-a-candle-company-89166.html :highfive:

Interesting article. You'll notice one day he decided to make candles, and voila, he opened a store.

Not a single word in the entire story about the time testing takes, the wasted wax, wicks, fo, money, testing takes. No hint whatsoever.

Apparently, this fool is still in the candle business and still doesn't know how to properly test and make the things.

I like this quote off their web site

"As we don't add artificial stabilizers and scent strengthening ingredients, we are truly reliant on the natural properties of the fragrance oils, the soy bean wax, the wick or "fire power," and the color."

the natural properties of the fragrance oils...? uh - Ooookie dokie then.

This is better yet!

Did you know that soy candles have a memory?

This is very important to know. When you light a soy candle for the first time it remembers how far across the surface it melted. For best results and longest enjoyment of your soy candle let your candle surface completely liquefy before extinguishing it. This will result in a longer lasting soy candle without the occurrence of tunneling down the center. Remember, keep your wicks trimmed to 1/4"

I don't remember reading anywhere that soy candles have a memory. Maybe I better "jog my memory" and read into his article and check out his store more thorough so I can do better with my candles!

This is better yet!

Did you know that soy candles have a memory?

This is very important to know. When you light a soy candle for the first time it remembers how far across the surface it melted. For best results and longest enjoyment of your soy candle let your candle surface completely liquefy before extinguishing it. This will result in a longer lasting soy candle without the occurrence of tunneling down the center. Remember, keep your wicks trimmed to 1/4"

I don't remember reading anywhere that soy candles have a memory. Maybe I better "jog my memory" and read into his article and check out his store more thorough so I can do better with my candles!

Actually, 'candle memory' knowledge has been around for a long time. Long before soy came on the market. I've never heard of it being simply a soy wax thing. But it works with soy, parrafin, and palm. I haven't tried it with beeswax since I don't make beeswax candles so I am guessing it works with that and bayberry wax as well.

Though I think most of the stuff is a bit marketing... okay almost all of it is - he does mention testing, at least that's how I read it.

Before opening, however, we had to “design” all our products, formulas, packaging, etc. Actually there was a list a mile-long. We spent months and months on formulas, researching vendors, designing the packaging, sales literature, pricing, and a million other things.
But the months on marketing were the best given what tactics he uses.
The internet's leading site for clean-burning, natural Scented SOY CANDLES!

Many companies mix their waxes and add artificial stabilizers. Others "plug" the middle and bottom of their candles while "over saturating" the top of their candles (to make you think they're stronger than they really are.) We guarantee that ours are made using high doses of premium fragrance oil, and it is consistent through-out.

Oh so natural!!! Don't forget the article mentions not doing wholesale....

http://www.zionsvillecandlecompany.com/retailpartners.html

Zionsville Candle Company's Retail Partners

http://www.zionsvillecandlecompany.com/wholesalesoycandles.html

Hmm... a model that didn't work for them... works for them?

The even sadder part... they've been in entrepreneur...

http://www.entrepreneur.com/magazine/entrepreneur/2006/october/167644.html

....scaring people with lies....

“Last year was probably the first year in 10 that I didn’t get bronchitis.”
Except, by this article date in 2006, his article in 2007, only being at it for two years....... connect the dots?

Following the link to the Entrepreneur article, I noticed the attack on "vegetable oil obtained from the fruit of the oil palm tree"...

I wonder just how long it's going to take before Palm candles are scrutinized as well..

I understand the desire to go more natural, but seriously, when it boils down to it, everything originated from the earth in some form or fashion.. granted they have been chemically altered by mankind, but where did those chemicals come from??

Sorry I know it's a little off topic, but all this hype about "naturalism" is really starting to get on my nerves! There is a huge difference between environmentalism and fanatacism (sp?) and lying to the public at large to market your products. :mad:

Paraffin still comes from petroleum, which still comes from the ground. Anyone who uses gasoline, or drives any vehicle for that matter, with the exception of the electric vehicles, has no right to ridicule anyone for using paraffin in their candles.

They all really need to get off their high horses and eat a little crow!

ETA: And as quoted above - he stated that "he hasn't had bronchitis in over 10 years".. you know what?? how do we know he isn't a smoker? Did your doctor state that burning paraffin candles is what caused your bronchitis?? Maybe you were sick from all that over-marketing you were doing with your other business before you started making candles. Maybe you were working too much and not resting enough, causing your immune system to suffer. Maybe its all those lies he told to the public just to make a profit.. anyone ever hear of Karma? Three-fold buddy.

Sorry. Done ranting now.

Check out this page and then click on the picture of the candles. The first one on the left, wick looks really off center, like it fell over, and the the one on the right just looks horrible. Now I know it is frost but I would not have a picture on my site like that nor would I let a customer buy a candle that looked like that. :tiptoe:

http://www.zionsvillecandlecompany.com/soyvoropo.html

Oh, you're right, that wick is dreadfully off center. :/ I've read from people here about the quirky points of soy, but those look AWFUL.

ETA: I do LOVE the markup on warmers and those prepackaged diffusers. I wish I could have gotten that big and been able to do that markup.

Well, I just skimmed it and agreed with the store and wholesale part. I have worked my butt off for not a lot. All I agreed with was the website part. Sorry, I didn't read it fully. I thought what I read was interesting. I see, I skipped a lot of it. :confused:

Debra,

That's what I was looking at - the e-commerce.

Reading that big fancy ad, you would think their candles would be really professional looking. I was so surprised that they looked so bad. If I could afford all that money they invested, I bet I could do well. At least my wicks would be centered. lol :P For The Glory, I have been doing my website for about 6 years. And it has really grown. I can't wait to drop wholesale, and get back to the shows and the fun stuff. I feel like I am an assembly line doing all this wholesale. I just hate it. I love to design and make cool looking stuff. And then sell them for what they are worth. Can't wait, can't wait. :yay: No more store to be bored in all day. No more grippy store owners. Just making candles and using the scents I have on hand, instead of ordering a whole order, to get the one scent I am out of for a little bitty order. I am sick of that. I may not take any orders. I just might do shows only. Can you tell I am burnt out??????