30 to 50% Stearic?

HI ...Ive been googling stearic acid and found a few formulas for container candles that have anywhere from 30 to 50% stearic in them. I know I read a post about an all stearic candle here on this board. What benefit does that much stearic bring to a candle?

Bump....anyone? Thanks

That sure does sound like a lot of stearic, but you've got my curiosity up. Do you have any links the candlemaking with stearic that you could share?

Sandi

Hi....I didnt keep the links.....I would have to go search again and hope I find it, however, I read some inside a Amazon Book online Books name is "Commercial Waxes : Natural and Synthetic" by H. Bennett

HTH

Yes you can make a candle using all stearic kind of expensive but it can be done. I am not sure why they would add that large of a percent in a container candle I could see that in a pillar if you where going for a certian type of an effect.

I made one last night ....it was 60% C3 and (should have used parrafin) and 40% stearic. Madison Jar with 1oz of FO. I used a CD 20 at 4 hour mark I had a little hang up on the side away from the bend. Candle burned real nice....but smell was weak. Now I didnt give this anytime to cure obviously...I was to anxious to see how it burned. I dont think I liked how the wax looked either...it was alittle brittle/bumpy looking. I think if you were to do a 30% stearic and 70% low parrafin, you may have a real nice motte container wax. I am going to try this tonight. Has anyone else experimented with this? It kind of reminded me of how yankees looks.......do you think they use high stearic acid in LMP parrafin?

I made one last night ....it was 60% C3 and (should have used parrafin) and 40% stearic. Madison Jar with 1oz of FO. I used a CD 20 at 4 hour mark I had a little hang up on the side away from the bend. Candle burned real nice....but smell was weak. Now I didnt give this anytime to cure obviously...I was to anxious to see how it burned. I dont think I liked how the wax looked either...it was alittle brittle/bumpy looking. I think if you were to do a 30% stearic and 70% low parrafin, you may have a real nice motte container wax. I am going to try this tonight. Has anyone else experimented with this? It kind of reminded me of how yankees looks.......do you think they use high stearic acid in LMP parrafin?

Sorry...this should be a 4" Morgan Jar.

For paraffin candles, formulations with a large percentage of stearic are usually for unscented candles. Fragrance oils and lots of stearic don't play together so well.

As for the Yankee containers, those are simple mottled candles. There are a handful of waxes you can obtain for that purpose. I think the one that used to be sold under Astorlite was the one Yankee uses or similar to it.

It wouldn't be unusual for stearic acid to be part of a mottled container formulation, but not nearly that much. A few percent would be more like it.

For paraffin candles, formulations with a large percentage of stearic are usually for unscented candles. Fragrance oils and lots of stearic don't play together so well.

As for the Yankee containers, those are simple mottled candles. There are a handful of waxes you can obtain for that purpose. I think the one that used to be sold under Astorlite was the one Yankee uses or similar to it.

It wouldn't be unusual for stearic acid to be part of a mottled container formulation, but not nearly that much. A few percent would be more like it.

Hi Top Thanks for the input. I think astorlite brand was M29.....not sure if anyone else makes it under another name or not.

Hi Top...I know this is a general question with probably alot different factors, but what would be the most amount of Stearic used in a wax? Under 30%.....under 20%...less??? TIA

Hi Top Thanks for the input. I think astorlite brand was M29.....not sure if anyone else makes it under another name or not.

Yeah that rings a bell. If you search through the IGI data sheets you might find it's still being sold under a different designation. Whether a supplier carries it or not is another matter.

Others you can definitely find somewhere are IGI 1286A, IGI 1288B, and Candlewic 2025H. They're all straight paraffin blends for creating mottled container candles.

Hi Top...I know this is a general question with probably alot different factors, but what would be the most amount of Stearic used in a wax? Under 30%.....under 20%...less??? TIA

For fragranced candles, around 1 to 3 percent. About ten times that amount for unfragranced candles.

Those are typical numbers but there's no hard and fast rule. You can use whatever amount you find works for your application. I would just add that there are some formulas floating around the board that are overboard in fragrance + stearic. Standards for burn quality aren't always high here.

For fragranced candles, around 1 to 3 percent. About ten times that amount for unfragranced candles.

Those are typical numbers but there's no hard and fast rule. You can use whatever amount you find works for your application. I would just add that there are some formulas floating around the board that are overboard in fragrance + stearic. Standards for burn quality aren't always high here.

Thanks Top.....if you have any place to learn more, a book or another site...please let me know....thanks for your help!