Making Beeswax Candles

My wife wants me to make candles of beeswax so yesterday I ordered some beeswax from Peak along with some square braid wicks size #1 and #2 along with wick tabs. I plan on using canning jars that are 8 oz and have a diameter of approximately 2.75". I have never used beeswax so any suggestions that you might have would be greatly appreciated.

I personally don't/won't make beeswax container candles, just votives, pillars and tapers. Because of the large wick you need to use with beeswax, containers can and will get very hot, so be careful. I ended up breaking a couple jars with my testing years ago, so that ended my beeswax container endeavor and I stuck with the others instead. :cool2:

I personally like 3" pillars with my beeswax. Because square braid wicks burn with a higher flame, I don't like to go above a #5 wick. You also have to keep in mind that all beeswax is not the same, as some have a high viscosity, thereby taking a larger wick. Usually the darker the beeswax, the harder it is to wick, in my testing over the years. :cool2:

I personally don't/won't make beeswax container candles, just votives, pillars and tapers. Because of the large wick you need to use with beeswax, containers can and will get very hot, so be careful. I ended up breaking a couple jars with my testing years ago, so that ended my beeswax container endeavor and I stuck with the others instead. :cool2:

I agree totally, I have tried to make simply little candle tins that were only 4 oz. but even they do not burn as good as the candles that are not in containers. I, also have quit making containers with beeswax.