my nose i s "broke", does CS buttered rum in 464 have good HT?

Hi,

I am testing CS buttered rum (last minute request from a friend) and i have a really bad head cold, can't smell or taste. all i can tell about my coffee this morning is that it is hot and sweet, and it will keep me from getting that terrible caffeine withdrawal headache! :laugh2:

any 464 users out there who can help me? i'm using my "most fragrances throw well with this combo" and i didn't find anything about wicking up, but also didn't find anything specifically about this FO in 464.

thanks!

ei

Hmmm, this raises a bit of confusion for me also, I just tested CS Banana Nut Bread that everyone raves about, and I use 464 also, and for some odd reason and with no head cold here, I am not getting a very good HT.:confused: Cured for 4 days, 8 oz. jj with 51-32-18z wicks.

Sorry to hijack your thread, but was wondering what could be wrong, us or the fo's.?

hi leisa,

if no one on the forum can help, try calling CS. i called yesterday and got some really helpful info about the buttered rum FO. at that point my wick was starting to get smaller and i knew i had a problem. that was after about 4 hrs burn time. today i can smell some, but i had to do another candle with the buttered rum and i guess i should wait a couple days to test it. pain, since i really want it to be good, and i wish now i hadn't said yes to my friend!

meanwile, i have some of their banana nut FO, maybe i'll pour a tester later.

someone here must have some help for both of us?? anyone??

if you do call CS, i'd love to know if they were able to give you any advice.

ei

I don't know about the buttered rum but the banana nut bread - I could not get a good HT in 464 to save my life.. I tried several different wicks and cure times and just gave up on it..

Sorry I can't be more help but .......

Emily

Well glad I didnt buy alot of the bnb.

Emily, I LOVE this smell, have you ever tested any other bnb's?

Dog, maybe its just this wax with certain fo's. I refuse to change my wax though, I LOVE this wax.

I have not tested any other BNB's however I do have some of this left and I am trying a blend...4630/464 that is awesome....I think I will pour one today and see if it works any better.. With the blend my other great throwers from CS has intensified and I am just thrilled..I do love the OOB and I did love the CT...

Would like to know if you guys get good results..and I will try to remember to post mine too..

Emily

I have not tested any other BNB's however I do have some of this left and I am trying a blend...4630/464 that is awesome....I think I will pour one today and see if it works any better.. With the blend my other great throwers from CS has intensified and I am just thrilled..I do love the OOB and I did love the CT...

Would like to know if you guys get good results..and I will try to remember to post mine too..

Emily

Hmmm, I think I have some 4630. Maybe I will try this also. What ratio do you mix the 4630 with the 464?

Well I am still working on it but I have tried 50/50 and then 70soy/30par I REALLY REALLY like the HT using the 50/50 but wetspots is terrible and the CT was not as good but I can use less FO and still get a BETTER HT... The 70/30 HT is good and turns out a terriffic candle as far as no frost, good CT, and nice smooth tops even AFTER burning with no prework but I do think I will have to add more FO to get the throw I want..

I am so undecided as the percentages go but I do know I will not go back to straight soy..and I am leaning more towards the 50/50... My throw was so good and I reached distances I had only read about...LOL

Let me know what you think...

Emily

it's ok, i sure understand trying to get help! i too will not give up the wax, i love it. i am staying with just soy, so can't try the mixes. i know the CS frankincense and myrrh needs a pretty long cure time (long for 464 that is), but it's worth the wait, it's wonderful.

right now i'm pouring some testers for ME. carmelized pralines, macintosh apple, maybe wildberry mouse. have you, leisa and emily, come across any other CS fragrances that don't throw in 464? i am so tapped out money wise i'm trying to avoid things that are doomed from the start!

i'll post how the new buttered rum throws, i will probably try it tomorrow (2 day wait). hope that won't be too soon.

guess i won't even try to banana nut bread,!!

thanks for any words of wisdom!

eileen

If you haven't tried the mac apple before you are going to be pleased! I LOVE that scent it makes my mouth water and I want to eat an apple..LOL....And the wildberry mousse is great....

I have pretty much tried to stick with the 3 leaves but I did try a couple with 2 leaves and they thre pretty good for me too. The BNB is the only one so far that I have tried that didn't throw for me..

The rainwater, smoke and odor eliminator, honeydew melon, cranberry marmalade, honeysucke jasmine, very vanilla and peppermint eucalyptus as well as the mac apple and wildberry mousse all threw Super STRONG for me in 464...There is probably more that I am just forgeting about but those I mentioned are definetly memory burners..

The area I am in really is not sold on soy.. They just want good scents.. I love the 464 but the frosting and ugly tops after the burn was killing me..That was why I tried a blend.. I am so hooked now...LOL I want to keep soy in my blend and no less than 50% because of the burn times and just in case the soy trend comes to my area..

HTH!

Emily

thanks emily! i am waiting for the mac apple to cool. next is wildberry mouse. i am trying one wick down on some that i've already tested that burned a little hot, just a tad, and a little fast for me. with the smaller wick i seem to be losing some throw. of COURSE, it could be my nose again, or rather still. the pumpkin souffle seems to be doing ok with the ECO12 down from a 14. again, i'm still using 9%, wish i could get up the nerve to cut to 6%, bt since i originally started (you may remember) at 12%, even the 9% makes me nervous. i want to knock them out with the throw! :laugh2: so leisa, any more suggestions on "CS no nos in 464", if there are any more?

the apple smells wonderful, even with my head cold.

thanks again for all your help!!! i hopw soy catches on for you eventually.

eileen

When i first got the 4630 I did an all parafin.. First time.. 6% CS's Mistletoe... My hubby blew it out and opened all the windows and doors... He said it was TOO STRONG... and that was only like a 10 hr cure.... Now that was a knock you on your butt when you open the door throw. LOL

I am having a time wicking the pumpkin souffle in the 50/50.. It has been a PITA and still haven't got it.. But I love this scent and the blend so I will keep on testing!

I hope you all the best.. And hope you have lots of fun... I love testing.. All my friends love coming to my great smelling house..LOL

Emily

yes, i think the mistletoe is about the strongest of all i've tested so far, and the pumpkin souffle, of the ones i've tried. the 4 ounce jj with mistletoe is totally amazing.

i had posted a question about the spiced wassail, but didn't get any "takers" to answer me. however, my granddaughter is testing it for me and just told me it's really nice, very good throw. she's been testing for me for a while, but with finals at college, hasn't been doing as much and i really MISS her help!

again, thanks for your encouragement and advice, i really appreciated it. i've been reading your 50/50 posts, but of course just reading, since i have nothing to input on that!

i know what you mean about the place smelling good. my daughter says since i started doing candles it always smells great in here. nice to know, since we have 2 dogs and 3 cats. another bonus of candle making! :laugh2:

have fun!

Well I am melting down the few candles I made with the bnb with the 464, and gonna add 50/50 4630, and see if it helps. I dont want to waste the candles I already made, I love this scent, with the CT anyways.

The only other one I have tried that I cant get to throw in the 464 is the White Christmas. The CT wasn't even very good. Glad I just ordered a 1oz'er of that.

The Mulberry from CS is really awesome in 464. I have tried about 4 different Mulberries, and this one is definately the best I have found. WHOA! I have this burning right now, my home has 5 large rooms down stairs and I can smell all through my down stairs.:drool:

Well I am melting down the few candles I made with the bnb with the 464, and gonna add 50/50 4630, and see if it helps. I dont want to waste the candles I already made, I love this scent, with the CT anyways.

The only other one I have tried that I cant get to throw in the 464 is the White Christmas. The CT wasn't even very good. Glad I just ordered a 1oz'er of that.

The Mulberry from CS is really awesome in 464. I have tried about 4 different Mulberries, and this one is definately the best I have found. WHOA! I have this burning right now, my home has 5 large rooms down stairs and I can smell all through my down stairs.:drool:

I would really like your thoughts after you test burn the 50/50...IMO there is a big wicking difference.. But I think my htp's are doing amazing things with my throw in this blend..

Emily

hi 8-GRAN-ONES, i sent you a PM (about 12/11/1952) happy b'day!! :yay: :yay: :yay: :yay:

also, thanks for the info on the buttered rum (and the other fragrances), there is still hope. did you find you had to wick up? i went up one, from eco 12 to eco 14. i'm hoping that is enuf. does it need muc of a cure time?

i find most fragrances don't need a long cure in 464, tho the CS frankincense and myrrh really popped after about 10 days. seems the CS sp. wassail also fits in that category.

leisa, NOW i have to pour a mulberry tester, since i have a sample from CS. you have me drooling!

our heat was off overnite, so now i have to wait for it to warm up before i do anything. the candle gremlins seem to be out in full force!

do you all feel that i might actually be losing hot throw by using 9% FO instead of 6% (candle science oils)?

thanks again to all of you for sharing and helping!

eileen

hey leisa, just happened to be on and saw your post. that's great! i doubt if i'll ever add paraffin, i'm more inclined (down the line) to try diff wicks or maybe even diff soy.

i have some cb135 some gb444, some enchanted lites (i think that's the name) and maybe even some cb advanced. i got these waxes in the beginning, a number of months back, i made one or two candles with cb135, then tried the 464 and was hooked. but right now i am going to stick to 464 and test the fragrances i already have. well, i guess i could make some tarts,,,, uh oh, there i go again, off on a tangent. NO! i must behave.

i am burning the buttered rum right now, tried a bigger wick. still seems like a light throw, but then again, i tend to compare everything to the pumpkin souffle!!

i can't wait to burn the carmelized pralines, it smell awesome.

hope you emily-assisted lucky streak continues!

eileen

Pwillo2 and Dogmom,

Well its been a 2 day cure time, since I added 30% 4630 to the 464. I am get a great HT now, and not even a full melt pool. Using a 51-32-18z wick in a 8oz.jj.

Great idea pwillo2!:highfive: Thank You!

Actually I got the idea from Tootie! So thank you Tootie....from both of us! LOL:highfive:

I want to know how that wick does. I have never tested any of those so I am curious. Out of the lx and htp, I would say right now that htp is going to be my choice. But I will probably change my mind when I get some smaller cd's in... Isn't the throw much better with the para added in?

hey leisa, just happened to be on and saw your post. that's great! i doubt if i'll ever add paraffin, i'm more inclined (down the line) to try diff wicks or maybe even diff soy.

i have some cb135 some gb444, some enchanted lites (i think that's the name) and maybe even some cb advanced. i got these waxes in the beginning, a number of months back, i made one or two candles with cb135, then tried the 464 and was hooked. but right now i am going to stick to 464 and test the fragrances i already have. well, i guess i could make some tarts,,,, uh oh, there i go again, off on a tangent. NO! i must behave.

i am burning the buttered rum right now, tried a bigger wick. still seems like a light throw, but then again, i tend to compare everything to the pumpkin souffle!!

i can't wait to burn the carmelized pralines, it smell awesome.

hope you emily-assisted lucky streak continues!

eileen

I am still testing away....LOL I think I about got the wicking down on the scents I am testing.. Now for more scents...LOL

Keep us updated on your developments! Maybe you have candle nose.. Take it to a friends house, do some errands, then run by and check. I tend to find I smell better that way.. Thank goodness my mom and my sister are my neighbors....LOL

I want to try the buttered rum.. The next time I order I am going to get a sample.

Emily

Actually I got the idea from Tootie! So thank you Tootie....from both of us! LOL:highfive:

I want to know how that wick does. I have never tested any of those so I am curious. Out of the lx and htp, I would say right now that htp is going to be my choice. But I will probably change my mind when I get some smaller cd's in... Isn't the throw much better with the para added in?

I am still testing away....LOL I think I about got the wicking down on the scents I am testing.. Now for more scents...LOL

Emily

Emily, I personally like the zinc wicks better then any others I have tried. They are more firm then any others, so they dont "sag" or bulge a bit while in the wick bars. I guess this is because they come coated with wax. The only bad thing I see with the zincs, is you get more mushrooming, but that doesn't bother me, I always remind people to trim it off. I've just always went back to the zincs. I use 3 different size jars for my candles, and its also easier for me to stick with one brand of wicks and just use different sizes. I actually use index cards and with each scent, I put on the card which size of jar and the size of wick for that scent, and the % of fo and the amount of melted wax in my pyrex. Makes it easy for me.

Oh, and another helpful hint, I only stock 10 scents. I may change them yearly, but I only keep 10. If I am making 5 different scents at a time, I will make up the other 5 scents, and just store them. This helps keep me from having to pour candles at such different times (help with cure time also) and helps when I order ( I try to stay with just a couple suppliers and order my scents at one time, to save on shipping costs). And I only test new scents when their are sales from suppliers.