False trace question

Rosies

I made a small batch of beginners goat milk soap today at RT using a wisk instead of SB. I mixed the lye with the water (strong solution) then added the cold milk concentrate at trace then added the FO.

Maybe I'm worrying for nothing because this soap is beautiful. It's creamy looking (the milk didn't scorch) and firming up nice. It's about 5 hours old in individual molds.

What's got me worried is it never heated up except just a tiny bit after I poured it in the molds so I'm wondering if I got a false trace and what the end results will be. It didn't gel either.

I still consider myself a newbie so your input is really needed here.

If you had a false trace then what you would be seeing now is a layer of oil on top. What happened is that it isn't gelling which is very common in individual molds, and with milk soap it's often considered a really good thing because it stays that lighter, creamy color - gel will darken it considerably.

Because it didn't gel it might take several days, even a week, before it's ready to unmold. Just be patient - I'm betting on a perfect batch!

Carebear- You're so encouraging! I just checked it again and the thicker bars are heating up some so I put them in the frig so maybe they'll stay beautiful and creamy looking.

There's no oil on them so I guess it isn't a false trace.

Just maybe I made my first perfect batch! If all looks well tomorrow I think I'll make another one!

Do you ever do RT soaping? If so does your lye water ever get a crystalized film on top and what do you do about it?

Thanks for your encouragement.

Depends on what you mean by RT soaping (there are 2 definitions around which confuses me to no end).

I let my lye come to room temp sometimes, and yes I get a kinda crusty film on top on occasion. I think it's caused by oil residues in my pitcher, actually. What do I do? I used to filter those out by pouring through cheesecloth, then I started just picking out the big chunks that didn't stir in, now I just give it a stir and add it to the oils without worrying. Same results no matter what I do! So what I'm saying is - I ignore them.

With milk soaps you have to worry about them over-heating which can cause your soap to crack and even have the oils separate. It's actually a good thing that it is not heating up. I myself prefer that my milk soaps don't gel so I am mindful of the mold I use and I too put my molds in the fridge. Once you are able to unmold this soap to cure and you get to use it, you will see what it is about milk soaps that people love.

Congratulations on another batch. You are on your way:yay::yay:

Hey everybody! :highfive: The soap is already out of the mold and still beautiful! :yay: I'd post a pic but don't see how to do it.

Just curious, but what do you do with soap if you do get a false trace and don't realize it till after it's poured and gets oily?:rolleyes2

I made another small batch today but I may have to leave it in the mold a little longer. I did it exactly the same except used a different FO but it didn't start getting firmer as I was pouring it like the one yesterday. I'm staying with the smaller batches for now until I get more experience so if I do screw it up it won't be so much lost. I don't like the looks of the one I had to rebatch because it seized up on me but I think it will still be yummy for personal use. Wouldn't want to give it as gifts though