Finally! My 50/50 blend......

I have been dying to try my own blend and just got my paraffin in last night. I have been playing with the 464 forever and I like it but the frosting isue was just killing me...LOL So I am trying the 464/4630 blend like a few more on here..

But first of all let me say that I have NEVER created a totally paraffin candle until last night. I tested a bit with the 6036 but then the price jumped and my supplier wasn't going to stock it anymore hence all this new testing. I poured a 6oz tin with 4630 using CS Mistletoe and it was AWESOME!!! I poured at 9 last night and lit up at 7 this morning..Oh my gosh! That was the strongest candle... My hubby said it was so strong that it was pungeunt(sp)..But anywho..I just wanted to try all paraffin at least once so I could compare or ?????

Ok so today I made my blend.... 50/50 464/4630...

I made 5 6oz tins using 6% CS's Cranberry Marmalade, Pumpkin Souffle, Wildberry Mousse, Honeydew Melon, and Macintosh Apple and using htp73 wicks and 1 dye chip per pound..

Also with the same blend and everything else the same except for the wick and I used a LX14 in 5 8oz jj's..

All of them have set up beautiful.... Just beautiful.. Smooth, no prework..Hoping that I don't wake up in the morning to huge wet spots or anything....:eek: :eek: :eek: I really think I am going to love this.. I will update as I test..

Emily

well...dont hold your breath on the wet spots...but if you can embrace those I really LOVE this mix!! :grin2:

I have heard....that the 4630 alone is a bugger to wick....soot and smoking so good luck there...

Keep us updated on your testing!!!:grin2:

tootie

I think I can do the wetspots better than the frosting....LOL and the lumpyness..

I did a lot of research on the 4630 and was aware of all the smoking and jumpy flames but I have burnt the straight paraffin twice already today for 4 hour intervals and watched it close and I haven't seen any yet.. but of coarse I am not permanetly going to be using straight paraffin so that don't bother me..The scent throw has been just totally amazing though.. If the 50/50 throws like the straight I am a VERY HAPPY SCENT LOVER!!!!! and I WILL live with the wetspots...LOL

I am very curious about some of the scents that would not throw well with 464....Will they throw in this blend? I am going to find out. It will probably be awhile before I can test that.

Oh and I used a LX14 in the 4630 6 oz tin and I am on my 3rd burn now and I do believe it is going to be the one.. Great burns....A little hangup but it is catching up just fine.

Ok.. i got wet spots out the cahooneys..LOL But that is ok.. I can deal with that..Otherwise they are beautiful! No frost..NO FROST.. WOOHOO! I have to do errands but I am going to light an 8oz jj later this evening..Can't wait..I hope that the wicking is close..

Mu hubby is something. I didn't think he has been paying attention but he has let me know several times since yesterday that he does not like the paraffin. I may have to bump the parrafin on down..Maybe a 75/25.....

Emily

If you are bothered by the wet spots there is always a way around that problem. Pour into tins, enamel cups or even the paint cans that Bittercreek South sells. If you have hit upon a mixture that smells great just look for the appropriate container for it.

:embarasse I feel like an idiot... DUGH!!! You know I didn't even think about that. Thanks! The tins I did make still look beautiful. I had thought about warming the jars first and see but I am really not wanting to do that. So changing my container might just be the solution I need!

Thanks again!

Emily

I lit 2 of the 8 oz jjs with 6% CS Cranberry Marmalade and 6% Pumpkin Souffle..both of those with the LX14 wicks... Got to wick down on the Cranberry - I had a full MP at 3hrs..I always like to have some hangup..wick for the bottom of the jar.. and wick up on the Pumpkin after a 3 hour burn there is just too much wax left on the sides to catch up...I really really love the scent throw. It is truly wonderful...

I lit 2 of the 6oz tins with 6% CS Honeydew Melon and 6% CS Macintosh Apple..both with htp 73.. Got to wick down on the honeydew... The whole tin was melted... Guess I can't be lucky everytime...LOL and I am thinking the apple might be ok but will have to burn more..

It sure is different than just my 464... An ECO4 would work great with all of these except the pumpkin, which I had to wick up on. It is so great to try different things.

I really like that the candles looked smooth and so pretty after the burns. The only thing that is bothering me at this point and I still have not got them wicked right, is that I can sure tell that they are not going to have good burn times. Maybe when I get them wicked right I might have a more accurate estimate but ????

I am having a blast experimenting and oh my gosh the scent throw is amazing...I am reaching distances that I had only read about...LOL You see I am so simple, it doesn't take alot to get me excited....:P

Emily

Ok.. I have been testing alot..... scent throw is great! wicks.. well.. the 8oz jj's wicked with LX14 is burning good in all except pumkpkin souffle which I should have known to wick up on... but I do think that they are going to end up burning too hot more towards the end. Any wick suggestions???????:confused:

The 6oz tins wicked with the htp73 is burning to hot so I am going down to a htp 62..except the pumpkin souffle which I got to wick up on. Any wick suggestions for this one????

I melted down the 8oz jj w/pumpkin souffle and repoured it with a cd8..At this point I am thinking that will work. And assuming from that..that a cd 5 maybe 6 would be better for the rest of my scents?

Thanks for any and all help!

Emily

Thanks tootie...I am going to pour another 8oz pumpkin jj with a cd 10 and compare the 8/10...

I am going to try the cd7 too but I got to order some of those first.

I also want to add and forgot earlier that I will never go back to just soy.. This blend is truly amazing and I think it will be even better when I get the wicking down.

Also want to note that the CT is not as good as just the 464 but the HT makes up for it all!

I poured some more testers tonight with a 70/30 464/4630 blend....I am curious about this blend too.. I would really like to keep as much soy as possible but I am like you.. The HT will be the deciding factor.

Thanks again...

Emily

The cd8 was trying to drown out after a 3 hour burn in the pumpkin but I am going to try the cd10 in the morning...Tootie, I think this just might be the one....

The LX14's in the jj's have a great melt pool but I just know further down in the jar they are going to be too hot.. I want my smaller cd's now but I got to wait a bit before I can order any of those...LOL And I think I am going to pour a couple with a htp52..Any thoughts on this?

In the 6oz tins I think I am going to pour some testers with htp52's... The tins are all burning too hot but the pumpkin and I think I am going to try it with a cd8.. Just because it is killing me that I have been so off on this wicking...:laugh2:

If cd 10 is too big you might want to try cdn wicks. When I tried pumpkin in 464 cds would fizzle, but cdn did fine.

Thanks Jeana...I think I am going to order some and try them.. And a few other kinds too because I like this wax combo and I definetly want to find the best wick.:yay: