Ohio Casualty Product Liability Ins - New Info

R.S.

R.S. I've gotten a separate policy for a few dollars a month to cover biz related home damage. Also, I know many people here who's insurance companies let them piggyback a commercial type insurance, and for quite cheap. HOI is not going to cover biz related incidents. Of course it's not. It's a totally different policy. And my HOI with USAA had no qualms about my running a biz in the house as long as I faxed them the information on the other policy.

I don't know who's telling you this, because there and tons and tons of threads here all talking about how people are insuring their homes for biz related incidents and their HOI knows about it.

If something happens to your house and you don't have it covered by another policy, your HOI isn't going to pay out anything at all, regardless. They'll say you should have had a separate. I believe some call it piggyback, others call it a rider with their companies, and some just have a separate company on the insurance with their HOI having a copy of the policy.

But no one can really tell you who you can go with for sure, because there's all sorts of factors - how much you produce, where you produce, whether that company can underwrite in the state you live in, what the regulations are in your state. It's a painful process sometimes, but it's a necessity IMO.

Thank you for this information. I certainly agree that is is a necessity. I will keep asking around, but right now no one seems to want to touch this.

May I ask who is your piggyback policy with?

ETA: And this piggyback policy is also different from your commercial liability policy, correct?

Mine's through a local only company, but that shouldn't stop anyone. Step away from the big names, you'll find hundreds willing to help you. I'm actually changing over to them for liability since Indie's gone up, when I will have to renew. They'll have both a BOP, and a IHBP. Pretty good little place.

And yes, this policy is currently separated from my liability, which I've mentioned I get from IBN. But they are starting to become somewhat of a rip off for the "small guys". (Ironic, the small guys were the champions for the FDAGA, but when it comes to prices... jack them on up!!!) Anyways, I digress. I'm trying to centralize with banks and insurances, so I'm moving it all over.

Well I spent a lot of time googling last night and didn't come up with anything that helped.

The main company doing In Home Business Polices (IBNP) is a company called RLI. In looking at the policy, it doesn't specifically say it would cover your home if it burned down due to making candles, only that it would cover your business equipment. Amongst the list of eligible business was this:

Candle Sales, excluding sales of candles

made by individuals (5)

Crafts, excluding manufacturing/distribution of candles

made by individuals

I will search some more, but this is not looking promising to me.

http://my.rlicorp.com/Products/IBP/ibpeligiblebusinesses.asp