Ohio Casualty Product Liability Ins - New Info

R.S.

I just got a quote today for product liability insurance. The quote for the actual insurance is $148. BUT..... they previously had a minimum premium of $500 and that has now been raised to $1,000. :shocked2:

It bugs the HELL out of me to pay 7x the cost of insurance just to have coverage. If I have to pay that, I'll be hunting up all sorts of things to have insurance on to make up the difference. That's crazy.

Many, many moons ago in a land far far away, I worked for that company. (In IL. though) Try contacting your insurance agent and see if you qualify for one of the other companies under Ohio Casualty. I worked in person insurance, not commercial, but I still think the commercial side had 3 companies under it's names. Each company higher up had better premiums, but it was harder to qualify to get in that rate.

Also have you checked places like the soapers guild (do I have the name right) even $500.00 seems like a ton of money to me.

hth,

Karen B

Didn't Indie change their policy to say that you must make soap/beauty products to get their insurance? That making only candle products was not enough? Please correct me if I'm wrong but I know I looked at it once and would have qualified but looked again and wouldn't.

I currently have Ohio Casualty but it's acutally billed by America First Insurance. On my statements it says coverage is provided by Ohio Casualty insurance. Anyway, I just got my renewal paperwork and bill and it's still 500 dollars/year. Hope I"m not missing something cus I didn't see any significant changes to my policy and my bill says 500/year.

I currently have Ohio Casualty but it's acutally billed by America First Insurance. On my statements it says coverage is provided by Ohio Casualty insurance. Anyway, I just got my renewal paperwork and bill and it's still 500 dollars/year. Hope I"m not missing something cus I didn't see any significant changes to my policy and my bill says 500/year.

Yes, what I was quoted was through America First as well. Don't be surprised to see a big increase next year, then.

ETA: When we talked on the phone yesterday morning, she said it will probably be $500. Then when she called me all of a sudden it was $1000. So I'm thinking this is a brand new "rule" this week or she's trying to get extra money out of me. (I don't think it's the latter). But I am none to please.

I also thought that the indy network required making soap as well, which is why I hadn't pursued that avenue.

I remember America something being the highest company they have, so America First( or was it First American???) must be it. R.S. it must be some kind of rule that came into effect before the renewal of your policy. They have to follow very strict rules and when I worked for Ohio at the time they would never think of messing around. When rules go into effect has to do with your policy renewal date, if your renewal date is 12/3 and I love candles was 12/1, and the effective date for the higher premium is 12/2, I love candles gets the luck of the draw this time. That is as long as I love candles is in the same state, different states can have different rules.

Sorry this happened to you, I hope you can find something out there that isn't insanely priced.

Karen B

Well this is a new quote, not a renewal. I am very aware of Insurance pricing and the effective dates of rates. Trust me on that one, lol.

As I mentioned in my previous post, the agent thought it would be $500 and came back with $1000, so it is very very new. Ie: this week.

And again, this isn't the price of insurance, the insurance is actually $148. They just have a minimum premium requirement. I am asking if they would provide home insurance for a business related claim to help fill in that difference because that sort of loss is specifically excluded under my homeowners policy.

Also, I know that Ohio goes by your annual amount of income so that could possibly be a factor as well.

Again.... it's not the cost of the insurance, they showed me the underwriter's worksheet.... the insurance itself is $148. They have a new minimum premium rule that makes it $1000.. up from $500.

and I told them my expected sales would be $5,000, so it can't be related to that.

I have Ohio Casulty and my renewal is in Jan. I'm bettin' my renewal will remail the same price. I think you should call another independent agent and ask them for a quote. I do know that a basic 1 or 2 mil policy on ANY commercial insurance starts at $500...

When you get your renewal, please post here and let me know what it is... please please please.

the soap makers guild and indie beauty offer the same policy through the same company...soap makers says you need to make soap, indie beauty doesn't. You must join either organization to get the insurance. The SMG is a bit cheaper than Indie Beauty...at least last time I checked their sites.

I don't know if IBN has a new policy that they do not insure candles only...

• 2 weeks later...

This is sooo frustrating.. Auto-Owners is not doing business in Texas. Ohio Casualty is now owned by First American..so the new rule is $1000 minimum premium.. I guess everyone can expect their insurance to double next year... if they continue with this line at all, the agent tells me that they are thinking of getting out.

I'm now talking to State Farm that has my car insurance and they are working something up. My homeowner's agent is afraid to ask Travelellers about a business rider for fear that they'll non-renew my homeowners. State Farm is finding out if they would do this coverage if I moved my homeowners to them as well.

UUUUGGGGHHHHHH

How are people who are making candles out of their house getting coverage on their house as well? Please help, I'm beside myself here.

Sorry to keep harping on this.... but after more rejections the bottom line is this...

No one will cover your home if you are manufacturing any products in it and have an accident/fire while performing your business duties. So while you can have the general liability protection, no one has coverage for their home if it burns down in the process of making candles for a business.

This is scary to think that all of us are going bare on this.

I'm now talking to State Farm that has my car insurance and they are working something up. My homeowner's agent is afraid to ask Travelellers about a business rider for fear that they'll non-renew my homeowners. State Farm is finding out if they would do this coverage if I moved my homeowners to them as well.

What did state farm say? I just called them this morning to get a quote and they are going to be calling me back. I got a quote from one place but it was $910 a year and that is just crazy.

Thank for any info you can give me.

What did state farm say? I just called them this morning to get a quote and they are going to be calling me back. I got a quote from one place but it was $910 a year and that is just crazy.

Thank for any info you can give me.

My quote was for over $1000. But again, this is for the commercial liability. I can get quotes for that no problem. The real problem comes with my home... my homeowners (and from what I hear.. anyone's homeowner's) policy will not cover damage to the house if it results from a manufacturing business run out of your house (and your commercial coverage won't cover this either-only equipment related to manufacturing). If they find out about it, I'm told they will simply non-renew you. This is the part that concerns me.. if I burn my house down making candles, I'm out a house with no recourse. My stomach is in knots over this. :shocked2:

R.S. I've gotten a separate policy for a few dollars a month to cover biz related home damage. Also, I know many people here who's insurance companies let them piggyback a commercial type insurance, and for quite cheap. HOI is not going to cover biz related incidents. Of course it's not. It's a totally different policy. And my HOI with USAA had no qualms about my running a biz in the house as long as I faxed them the information on the other policy.

I don't know who's telling you this, because there and tons and tons of threads here all talking about how people are insuring their homes for biz related incidents and their HOI knows about it.

If something happens to your house and you don't have it covered by another policy, your HOI isn't going to pay out anything at all, regardless. They'll say you should have had a separate. I believe some call it piggyback, others call it a rider with their companies, and some just have a separate company on the insurance with their HOI having a copy of the policy.

But no one can really tell you who you can go with for sure, because there's all sorts of factors - how much you produce, where you produce, whether that company can underwrite in the state you live in, what the regulations are in your state. It's a painful process sometimes, but it's a necessity IMO.