50/50 wicking question

I searched for 50/50 to see what I could find, but it kept saying it found nothing. I know it lied to me! LOL

I have been testing a 75s/25p blend, in jj I was using a CD10 but it was too large so I was going to pour new testers with CD8... at this time I am going to test 50/50 instead, so I am wondering if I should go to a 6 or 7. I am not sure how much of a difference the added paraffin will make. I think I read that it isn't much of a difference but I can't find it now.

I am also testing an 11oz metro jar that worked with a CD12 or 14 in the 75s/25p blend so I thought I would make up CD10 and 12... does that sound good?

TIA for any and all help

Danielle

I have not tested a blend (though I will get to tommorrow!:P ) but I have done lots of research .... Use the word 'blend' in the search and you will get some results...

I use 464 and I am finally getting some 4630 in tommorrow so I can try a blend and a straight paraffin.. I am starting my testing based on this thread

http://www.craftserver.com/forums/showthread.php?t=77700&highlight=4630

HTH!

Emily

I did search again with "blend" but found nothing useful to me on wicking.

I ended up pouring 4 testers last night. 2 metro's CD 10 & 12 and 2 jj CD 6 & 7. They look beautiful.

I tried a new (to me) method to cool them and they are still warm this morning. I wanted to make a styrofoam cooling box, but never got around to it. A friend gets meat shipped in and it comes in these wonderful, thick styrofoam boxes.... they work great. I put the lid down, set my jars down, pour and cover with the bottom. I can't get over how slow it lets them cool.

I will test them in a few days and post how these wicks have worked out.

Happy Holidays everyone!!

Sorry I couldn't be of more help...I did most of my research on 4630 cause that is what I am going to attempt.

I would really like to have one of those boxes you are talking about. I have a friend who works in a meat market and I am going to ask him if they have anything like that.. Thanks for the idea.

I am so anxious to try my blend.. I have got three full pages of notes of what I am going to do as soon as the UPS truck leaves my driveway...LOL

I hope you have great luck and Happy Holidays to you too!

Emily

I tested the 50/50 blend of 464/4630 but I only did tins. The 8oz tin would be a CD 10 to start with. I was gonna start with a CD10 in the jj....but now may use a 7 or 8 instead.

I am gonna hold off my testing till after our move to Yuma. i want to try to rent a shop over there so I can get my testing done.

Please post how the jj did.

tootie

Pwillo 2 you actually did help! LOL I know if you order from Omaha Steak, they send in the nice thick styrofoam boxes with dry ice! They are really nice! I hope your UPS man comes early!!

Tootie I will post my results. I will most likely fire them up Thursday or Friday.

OH, I used Peak's Gramma's Swingin' Eggnog! YUMMY 1oz/pp.

I lit the 2 metro jars this evening and burned for 4.25 hours.

They burned beautifully but had little HT. I could smell it, but not like I should. I have been having a HT issue with a lot of candles I have been testing.

I actually pulled out a "store bought" candle to burn tomorrow to see how well it smells up my house. My house is very open so it is kind of hard to test in. I am getting frustrated!!

I will also test the jj's tomorrow.

I have the jj's in the bedroom now. They have been burning about an hour. I haven't formed an opinion....

I lit a brand name candle in my regular testing area and am not impressed. I am not sure if my memory of the throw is greater than the actual throw!! In my mind they used to smell up my entire house.

I have made other candles that almost smell me right out of the house, so I know it is possible. I am starting to wonder if my 415 is the issue. I am going to make a candle with clean cotton which I know throws... if it doesn't then I am going to buy new 415.

GGRRRRR :confused:

As far as the jj' go... I like the CD7 at this point. Both started out slow (typical) then got a fmp. The 8 got there first and looked ok till a later burn where it showed it was too large. Large shroom and way too deep. 7 is much better.

The metro's are another story.... I goofed and forgot to label each jar before they were moved. So I have no idea which wick is which. I am hoping I can tell later on. I have them now as A & B, so I can take notes. The throw still is not what I'd expect from a 50/50 blend. They are burning nice though!!