Table top or digital thermometer

I don't have CS's but I do use an oven therm. w/ the long cord and probe, if that's what you mean. I like it a lot; I station the display in an out of the way yet easy to see spot on my work station, and the probe is easy to use in the largest or smallest amnt of wax in my pour pitcher...

HTH!

I don't have CS's but I do use an oven therm. w/ the long cord and probe, if that's what you mean. I like it a lot; I station the display in an out of the way yet easy to see spot on my work station, and the probe is easy to use in the largest or smallest amnt of wax in my pour pitcher...

HTH!

Ditto. I do the exact same thing and love it. The great thing about this kind of thermometer is that it doesn't matter the amount of wax you have in your pot. You just drop the metal piece down in the pot and don't think twice, where as with the clip-on kind you obviously need to have enough melted wax in the pot to reach the bottom of the thermometer. I've also found that the temp of the wax near the edge of the pot can be much different than the temp of the wax that is in the center. A little stir evens it back out again but I'm just saying...there is a difference to keep in mind if the thermometer is clipped on the side and you haven't recently stirred.

I just took a look at the tabletop therm CS has and it looks very similar to mine. I got mine at Big Lots for 5 bucks. I thought it was such a steal that I bought 4! :grin2:

I use the remote digital type in my large melting pot, with the readout attached to the wall with velcro. That works really well.

However, I use analog readout type meat thermometers in my pour pots. I make a wire loop out of coat hangers to hang them in the pot. That way I can prepare 2 or 3 pour pots, have the thermometers in each one, and can glance at the pots to get the temps while I wick jars or label finished candles. Things go faster that way.

I guess there is no best method for everyone, but that works for me.

Fredron

Ditto. I do the exact same thing and love it. The great thing about this kind of thermometer is that it doesn't matter the amount of wax you have in your pot. You just drop the metal piece down in the pot and don't think twice, where as with the clip-on kind you obviously need to have enough melted wax in the pot to reach the bottom of the thermometer. I've also found that the temp of the wax near the edge of the pot can be much different than the temp of the wax that is in the center. A little stir evens it back out again but I'm just saying...there is a difference to keep in mind if the thermometer is clipped on the side and you haven't recently stirred.

I just took a look at the tabletop therm CS has and it looks very similar to mine. I got mine at Big Lots for 5 bucks. I thought it was such a steal that I bought 4! :grin2:

Thank you guys. :highfive: Homecomfort, wow you got a steal...I'm checking out Big Lots this week. If I don't find it at Big Lots then I will go with the tabletop model from CS.