New to Tart-Making

Druin

For years, I have enjoyed the smell of tarts and I've always loved candles, but I'm deadly afraid of fire (due to my family losing everything in a house fire a few years before I was born), so I was very grateful to find tarts a few years ago and *so* very glad for candle warmers!

I am a teacher and a few weeks ago got fed up with the amount of hours that I was putting into it and decided a new hobby was in order! I had already been looking into candles as Christmas gifts, so putting 2 and 2 together, a new hobby was born :)

Now, here's the question... for those of you that just "dabble" in this - what is the best way to organize your things? I am making Christmas gifts and have been making small batches, so I certainly don't need an entire room as I've seen in some of the pictures. Pretty much, I make a pound of tarts a night, since that's all I really have room for on my kitchen counter and all the "scent mixing" my hubby's asthma can take! :)

I've been at this now for 2 weeks and loving it, but I've found that individally wrapped tarts stack up quickly and that I am addicted to molds and scents :) I've also found that it's hard to test your own because of the lingering scents of the others you've made! heheh

Anyway, I've really enjoyed reading the posts here and learning from you all! I look forward to being part of this community :)

Welcome to the board I wish I could help but my candle stuff not only took over my kitchen went on to take over the house and I ended up in a shop because DH got tired of tripping over my candle stuff.

So if you figure out a way to keep it under any kind of control would you share with me. LOL

Thanks Vicky!

Right now all of my supplies are on an old kitchen cart that I used to have in my classroom for my overhead projector. I seem to be quickly running out of room though - especially if I keep buying molds!

I love the "novelty" shapes and found some cute silicone ice-cube trays at Dollar Tree and Hobby Lobby - but what is the best way to clean these? Is there a "mold cleaner" recipe?

Thanks a bunch!

well here is my tip

try to label them as soon as you can

I run into I make some up then I do other things go back days later and have a hard time telling which brown tarts are cinnamon buns, rustic woods or so on. When you have all those scents in your house you can get candle makers nose where you can't tell them apart.

I still have a nice group of tarts I can't exactly tell what they are, lol. I end up grouping some up and calling it mystery tarts or something silly like that.

I clean my molds like that with soap and a old toothbrush. I have a hard time getting them clean without the brush. The metals ones I turn upside down in the oven set on warm and they cleans them out.

Its easy to get addicted!! I have a ton of stuff now.. and I wanted to start out small.. well it was a good intention anyway! LOL

well here is my tip

try to label them as soon as you can

I run into I make some up then I do other things go back days later and have a hard time telling which brown tarts are cinnamon buns, rustic woods or so on. When you have all those scents in your house you can get candle makers nose where you can't tell them apart.

I still have a nice group of tarts I can't exactly tell what they are, lol. I end up grouping some up and calling it mystery tarts or something silly like that.

What i do with mine, is i line my counter with foil and each tart batch i make, i write on the foil in front of it and section it off with permanent marker so i always know what kind it is.

Lost my kitchen years ago. About to lose two more rooms. Perhaps you can find some things to store your tarts in like polypro plastic boxes. Will tell you those tend to stack up too ... but then there are places one can put a lot of things, like under the bed, on shelves in closets, on shelf after shelf after shelf that gets bought for some candle/soap purpose. Oh wait, this was how to still keep this from consuming the space in your place right? ;)

I think my partner lost his garage for a cool storage place too ...