Coconut oil

Rosies

Everybody says do not use too much coconut oil in soap because it's drying but in doing a search on cooking with coconut oil I ran across several articles where it says it's a good moisturizer and skin softner.

Does the soaping process change it so that it's drying?

I purchased my coconut oil from Brushy Mountain Bee Supplies before I knew about all the other places to get it and it doesn't say whether it's 76 or 92 degrees. It does say it has a NaOH SAP value of 178.

Do you think this would be good for cooking?

The more I learn the more I realize I need to learn more!

- Yes the soaping process changes it - it turns it into SOAP. But when it's still an oil it will be... oily.

- Soap made with coconut oil is very cleansing (and thus drying) but that can easily be mitigated with a balanced formula.

- Chances are that the CO you bought is 76, but it doesn't really matter, at least for soaping, because both 76 & 92 have the same SAP range.

- Can you cook with it? Check with the supplier to see if it is food grade. If yes... go to town!

- Soap made with coconut oil is very cleansing (and thus drying) but that can easily be mitigated with a balanced formula.

I agree with everyone - my soaps are as much as 75% coconut oil, but with the right superfat &/or the right combination of other oils the soap needn't be drying.

Carebear

Can you help me formulate a recipe for 50% coconut oil that won't be drying?

Other oils I have are

OO

jojoba

lard

shea butter

castor

canola

AO

I'm not sure I understand superfatting. Can you explain that to me?

This is for personal use and gifts.

Thanks,

Rosie

First off, superfat means pretty much the same as lye discount - basically you have excess fat that the lye doesn't turn into soap - so there is still some of the fat/oil left in the bar. Soapcalc.com allows you to set the superfat in the upper right hand corner.

I make a lovely 75% coconut/25% palm oils soap that I superfat at 10%. You could probably do a lovely one with lard instead. I wouldn't wash my old lady face with it, but it's very mild on my old lady arms and legs.

If you are making it for a man, or to remove oily sweat, superfat between 6% & 8%.

ETA: soapcalc.com will tell you it is a very drying soap because it does not take into account the superfat %.

Carebear

Can you help me formulate a recipe for 50% coconut oil that won't be drying?

Other oils I have are

OO

jojoba

lard

shea butter

castor

canola

AO

I'm not sure I understand superfatting. Can you explain that to me?

This is for personal use and gifts.

Thanks,

Rosie

With the ingredients you have on hand you could try something like this:

50% Co

5% Castor

45% OO

Now plug these numbers in to figure out your lye and water amounts and the amount of a superfat you want.