Grave Blankets

jwn6w

alot of people make their own with chicken wire and evergreen branches, get the chicken wire the size of the grave or smaller, depending on what you want, some ground stakes to secure it

weave the branches through the chicken wire and secure them, then decorate with a bow or ornaments if for christmas

if you have a christmas tree lot near by you could ask them for the trimmings or buy some trimmings from them

I make my dad's and my brother's every year. It's become a family tradition for me and my mom. Anyway, I take the trimmings from Christmas trees. I don't have real at my house, but I ask friends who have live trees and go to the tree lots and ask for the leftovers. I never have a problem with getting those. And I buy one of those florist blocks at Michael's or AC Moore or something and stick the branches into the blocks. Then we decorate them like crazy. We usually pick a theme for each blanket. Last year my brother's was red & gold, and my dad's was blue & silver. And I also take an old christmas ornament from my collection, and add it to their blanket. It's kind of like my little gift to them.

Do you use the chicken wire and then weave the greens in and put the florist block on that. If you don't then what do you do with the florist block after you have decorated it. How do you secure it and where do you secure it by the grave? thanks

• 3 weeks later...

I have always made my moms, my father taught me years ago to use the chicken wire but to fold it making it round and connect the ends, that you cut making a circle and then flatten it and just start sticking evergreen branches in the opposite ends :confused: i hope i didn't confuse anyone but fill it up and use picks to decorate also to hold it down cut wire hangers and straighten to use to anchor it down, good grief it is easier to do then give directions...eek but I hope this helps and have a wonderful holiday

WOW ... I had never heard of this - guess because we don't have a lot of 'in ground' graves down here - water level too high. I had to google to see what y'all were talking about. Some of these are really pretty - and I understand the reasoning behind them.

Learn something new every day!

• 3 weeks later...