Wick recommendations for a palm/beeswax blend?

Hello,

So I saw this neat candle company on etsy that uses 90% palm wax and 10% beeswax to give their candles a neat appearance. They do pillars but it gave me an idea to try this combo in a container and tealight size.

I used 90% palm wax with 10% natural beeswax and I used 6% scent I think. So I poured all the wax into 3 oz shallow containers and tealight cups and wicked the tealights with LX10 (that's what I use with soy wax or all palm wax or a combo of the two). For the 3 oz shallow tins I used an LX18 (which works for soy but in the past I've used RRD47).

Then I went to test them and the wicks were drowning in both sizes so I thought I would wick up and add more palm wax so now there is about 8 or 9% beeswax in there and added a tiny bit more FO as there was no scent throw. For the tealights I used an LX14 (as I'm out of LX12's) and for the 3 oz tin I used an LX20. The same thing happened, they didn't burn out to the edge and the flame was really small and was drowning in the wax.

I'm thinking of not using this wax combo for the tealights as I'm not sure what wick to use that would burn effectively in a tealight and allow it to last a decent time (I have lots of LX wicks, and HTP 73 and 83 and RRD47 and #3 square braid and a cotton 44-28-18C). Instead I'll just stick to using it for the 3oz shallow tin and use an RRD47 instead. Do you think that will work? I know testing is the only way to figure this out but am just thinking out loud of ideas.

Thanks, I ended up reverting to the RRD ones I had on hand but the thing I don't like about RRD's is they decrease the burning time for the candle.

I'm dying to try CDN's but can't seem to find them in Canada. Do they provide a long burning time similar to the HTP or LX? If I order from somewhere in the States I'll definitely try them out.

So have you tried the square braids? I know this is the wick most recommended for beeswax pillars. Maybe it would work for containers too. And CSNs from candlescience are meant for palms I haven't tried them in beeswax though.

Jeana,

No, I haven't tried the square braids yet. I was getting ready for a show and I didn't have time to experiment and tested the RRD which worked great. Once all my shows are done and I can experiment I will and let you know how it works.

Thanks, I ended up reverting to the RRD ones I had on hand but the thing I don't like about RRD's is they decrease the burning time for the candle.

I'm dying to try CDN's but can't seem to find them in Canada. Do they provide a long burning time similar to the HTP or LX? If I order from somewhere in the States I'll definitely try them out.

The RRD wicks are great, but to get the longer burn time you need to use the right size then you won't have a shorter burn time. I use them in 2oz tin and get up to 20 hours with 415 and CO with nothing extra. You need to test each FO.