silicone for wicks YES, i read all i could find!

hi,

i searched on silicone and read everything out there, but most of the posts were from a while ago. i'd just like the up-to-date take on silicone and wicks. i bought the GE siliconeII and the loctite silicone.

three questions:

how long do you wait after you set the wick? i just wicked a few jars and would like to pour tonite, but can wait if i must. i noticed some people said they pour as soon as an hour later, was wondering if that still holds.

is it ok if some of the silicone squishes out from under the wick? i read a post from someone that said they pretty much slathered it on and it was ok if it squished out. still true?

finally, top mentioned a concern about the curing process releasing fumes, etc. and possibly being a problem. several people said it was not a concern. has that changed?

thanks,

ei

I use Permatex High-Temp Silicon Gasket Maker (rated for 600°F+), available at auto stores everywhere. A little "squish out" is normal and ensures a good, tight seal. The stuff I use cures fully in 24 hours and usually has good adhesion within an hour or so after wicking. I TRY to remember to wick the night before...

Silicon rubber sealants release acetic acid fumes as they cure (smells like strong vinegar). The Permatex Gasket Maker isn't bad, IMHO, but some of the other silicon rubber sealants are mighty "fumey." The cure is complete within 24 hours and the sealant stops releasing the fumes. Haven't noticed any problems with mine whatsoever, other than it's danged hard to get the wick tab off the bottom of a jar to reuse it for testing. I TRY to remember to use wick stickers or something less permanent for testers... HTH :)

hi carrie and stella!

yes carrie, for anchoring the wick. i want my candles to be as safe as possible and this seems a good choice for securing the wicks.

well i waited the 24 hours so i'm sure i was fine. i would just like to know if what i read is still what people do. sometimes over the course of time different things come to light. i guess i will just try to always give myself a 24 hr window when i can.

thanks!:smiley2:

ei

I use the GE Silicone II. The odor is low and with the little dab I put on the bottom of the tabs I'm really not concerned about the fumes. A little squish is not a problem. And I've been known to pour just a couple of hours after setting the wick.

HTH

hi judy,

that's exactly what i was hoping to hear. it's great to hear from someone who doesn't wait too long before pouring. i've been using the GE silicone II. i was more concerned about the fumes (and the squish) affecting the candle than hurting me.... LOL.

thanks for answering and thank you for your service!

ei