Change in formula works!

I used to do my candles the mathmatic way. I subtracted the abmount of fragrance and additives from the amount of wax I was using. Being curious like I am, I decided to try it the other way. I added an ounce of FO pp, and my additives as well. And I have to say, I like this way better! My candles burn so much better for some reason. It's weird, I can't describe it.

So... which way do you prefer and why?

Well I do several candles at once and calculate the percentages of wax, dye, fragrance, additives, etc. so the whole batch wil fit in my jars without waste. So my first step is to determine how many oz will fit in all the jars I'm pouring for each fragrance. Then I start my calculations to get my % of each ingredient. It took a lot of practice to get the % just right and not have leftover wax or worse-- not enough to fill that last jar. When you have several scents to pour for the day its a pain in the butt to miscalculate. I've got down to the last drop of wax now.:grin2:

The way I do it is figure out how many containers I want to fill so let's say it's 5 4 oz containers and so I need 20 oz of wax, then I multiply 20x.30 as I use 30% palm with my soy. Then I just multiply 0.07 or 0.08 by 20 to get the fragrance amount and add it to my total. My colour is always random as I use the wax blocks and just grate by eye and the colour I see at the time.

I am an instictive person. I bake the same way too. I guess you could say I am the Paula Deen of candles. A dash of this and that. lol. I do check the temps of my wax before I pour and it never stays consistant in my giagantic freezing house. So I go with my gut. I go by the consistancy of the wax before I pour it and I get a perfect top everytime. I try to stay with 1-1 1/2 ounce per pound. I am a 415 user so that is my limit. I don't push the oils because it's not worth the seepage to me especially those coffee and cinnamon based scents which are heavy.

I know people tend to go by calculations, but I think that should only be followed if you intend to go big and use machinery. It makes our candles more special if we have our own comfort zone. So if it makes you happy then fly with it.

I am an instictive person. I bake the same way too. I guess you could say I am the Paula Deen of candles. A dash of this and that. lol. I do check the temps of my wax before I pour and it never stays consistant in my giagantic freezing house. So I go with my gut. I go by the consistancy of the wax before I pour it and I get a perfect top everytime. I try to stay with 1-1 1/2 ounce per pound. I am a 415 user so that is my limit. I don't push the oils because it's not worth the seepage to me especially those coffee and cinnamon based scents which are heavy.

I know people tend to go by calculations, but I think that should only be followed if you intend to go big and use machinery. It makes our candles more special if we have our own comfort zone. So if it makes you happy then fly with it.

Me too. I never measure temps anymore. And I think in terms of ratios - right now I use 1 oz of FO and 13 oz of wax. Don't ask me what the percent is because I don't care enymore (I knew but forgot because it really doesn't matter -- something like 7%).

Sometimes I think that playing it a little fast and loose helps me compensate (and not freak out) when conditions do change and the wax behaves a little differently.

I learned a long time ago, that a 4 lb. pour pot filled up to 1-1/2" from the top, add my 4 oz. of FO and liquid dye, fills 10 - 8 oz. sq. mason jars perfectly. Same for my 16 oz. mason jars, but it will only fill 5 of those.

That's how I do all my candles.

And this weekend I have 975 candles to pour ~ 8 oz. and 16 oz. mason jars.

I definitly prefer this way much better. I like the gut feeling. Now that I only measure the wax and FO it is less stressful! I am still careful in what I am doing, I watch my temps, keep track of the temp when I add my FOs and so on but since I have gone to my own parasoy blend, and just add 1 ounce pp (yesterday I added .95 of Cinnamon & Clove Buds) I get a much better burn.

Just proves that even though we may have our formulas just the way we like them, there's always room for experimentation and improvements.

Thanks Ladies & Gents!

Happy Thanksgiving if I don't post again till then!