DRY HANDS....need HELP!!

tootie04

My DBF is a mechanic and that hand cleaner stuff has stripped the oils from his hands and they are VERY dry. I CANT make balms or lotions....no room.

IF you make a Balm or Cream that can help his hands PLEASE let me know ASAP!!

Thanks...

tootie

Tootie, I don't make them either but here are three things that work great: 1. Cornhuskers lotion 2. Use regular good hand lotion and put a drop of baby oil on the lotion, then rub it in. This will get ya started. 3. (this is the best) Get some large cotton gloves. Have him rub his hands with Vaseline, then put on the gloves and leave them on overnight.

I have used them all and they all help big time. Good luck.

Lard. Seriously - plain old lard. with gloves overnight if he'll do it, but every time he washes his hands at least.

Ditto this. I haven't used on my hands, but my feet. I've tried everything under the sun - Cornhuskers (this feels more like oil than lotion to me), $50 lotions, Aveeno, etc. Pedi Egg works great (and may work on hands too, DH has smoothed a couple hand calouses that way).

When my son had a diaper rash and A&D wouldn't make it go away (A&D = the bomb), my stepmom said her mom had used lard for stuff like that when they were babies. I glopped some on my feet, thick socks... next morning, it was at least 50% better. The cold, my always wearing sandals, even in the dead of winter, coupled with hardwood floors was NOT a pretty sight. Anything chapped, raw or sore - lard! Crisco if there's no lard left!

my husband is a mechanic and used a lotion i made for him. he loves it because it has little fragrance and does not burn his chapped hands. i also have a mechanic soap i made for him too and uses it rather than the orange mechaic soap you buy from the store.

• 1 month later...

I'd just get some barrier cream for before starting to work (and after every time he washes his hands) - they usually have some kind of silicon-based oil that sits on the surface of the skin and helps stop moisture loss. For at home, anything with shea butter or cocoa butter should help - both have softening and moisturising properties.

There's a spray too that works to do the barrier thing too. The husband works with mechanics and it's the silicone stuff only in a spray can.

The "yes to carrots" stuff works good. Walgreen's carries it and

Burt's Bees has some good thick hand cream that's long lasting because of the beeswax that's in it.

Aveeno is the only thing that has worked for me. I dabbled in making my own lotion, tried straight butter, you name it I tried it and Aveeno is the only thing I use now. It works for me and even though it's pricey the bottle lasts me a long time. I only use a squirt a day and I am still on the same bottle I bought last year so $8 bucks has lasted and will continue to last more than a year thats so far about .67 cents a month.

Bag Balm. Best stuff ever.....and fast. Have him apply to hands just before bed, and cover with some latex gloves overnight, by morning he'll be 1000% better.

I don't have dry hands, but, this Bag Balm was intriguing because I have developed a patch of red, dry, flaky skin under my eyes that nothing would help. So I thought what the heck and went ahead and bought some Bag Balm and within 2-3 days it was gone. So I just want to thank you. :)

I bought it at Walgreen's for $7.99.