$1 Mason Jar Candles???

I was just at my local grocery store where there were 4 oz mason jars for sale 10/$10! Of course, none of them were consistent AND it had the wick size on them CD12 was on the shelf description. My pic of the label is not that great, I wish it was better so you could see it. Of the 10 I looked at only three had wicks centered correctly. Some had really noticeable fill lines (almost looked like wood grain) and some had these weird looking white specks like trapped between the glass and the wax....what's that? For you chandlers who have been in the game for a while, can you tell me how this is possible? Are they getting these jar for $.02 each or what?

post-9527-139458451705_thumb.jpg

post-9527-139458451708_thumb.jpg

They are getting the jars wholesale factory direct by the truckload. The price difference is huge. Also-- check out the wax line. Those jars are only half filled. There are so many ways to make a cheap candle.

The same ones were being sold at my local supermart. I just walked right on by.

They are getting the jars wholesale factory direct by the truckload. The price difference is huge. Also-- check out the wax line. Those jars are only half filled. There are so many ways to make a cheap candle.

The same ones were being sold at my local supermart. I just walked right on by.

I usually walk on by myself. I don't buy cheap candles anymore since I used some cheap pillars from Target for my fireplace. I needed 8 of them and did not have time to order them like I normally would I needed them for a dinner party as I did not want to keep running to tend to the fire. Well it took my son and I 2 days to get all the wax out of the darn thing...it melted everywhere. Now I just keep plenty extras on hand. I don't buy cheap candles anymore. Reading about them here is one thing but to see in person...I had never seen masons that cheap before. I was stunned.

They probably have them here at the Piggly Wiggly like they always do. I've got a couple of "friends" that always have to report to me about the great deals they see at the flea market, etc, and why are my candles so much higher. :laugh2: I just listen each year to them and ignore.

Weren't those $1 grocery store candles recalled either last year or the year before? :grin2:

They probably have them here at the Piggly Wiggly like they always do. I've got a couple of "friends" that always have to report to me about the great deals they see at the flea market, etc, and why are my candles so much higher. :laugh2: I just listen each year to them and ignore.

Weren't those $1 grocery store candles recalled either last year or the year before? :grin2:

I hear it from some of mine too. Not candles but nails so it not just this industry. They tell me all the time oh I wish you did not charge so much. But to that I say, well your nails are falling off in 2 weeks and barely any polish left. Mine can hang for about a month and I always have all my polish when its time for me to do them again. "You get what you pay for!"

And yes those jars were recalled 2 Christmas' ago because they were overwicked I do believe. The reports were that the jars were exploding. $1 or $15....$1 or my house? Don't know about you but I'll take the $15 candle made by someone who cares and keep my house thanks!

That second picture...............OMG. Who the heck would buy a candle that looked like that? I know......the cheapskates that will then tell you ALL about the horrible candles that they bought and then ask if yours are better. LOL

I've told this story before..not sure if on this board or not.

My best friend received as a Christmas gift...a gold tray and I think it was 8 candles...a pillar and votives. She had them displayed on her glass coffee table. One night when I was visiting she decided to light them. OMG.......what a mess. What stayed lit melted all over the tray almost instantly...and the other candles...she had to keep relighting them because they kept drowning out. Of course...the set was made in China. I just sat there laughing...and she said...the hell with this crap. She dumped the whole thing in the trash.

They are 4 oz jars, right? A 4 oz jar will probably hold 3 oz of wax if you fill it full. Since these aren't full it is probably 2 oz of wax. That's about the same amount of wax as a votive. If you go to a store like walmart you can buy votives 4 for $1. So the 75 cent difference would account for the cost of the jar.

Maggie and Luci

I have 1 friend just like yours.Always buys cheap and complains about the candle. A huge candle company one time and now Wal Mart tarts and candles aren't so bad as they used to be according to her. If I say I have a order to get out she hums. Needless to say I don't talk to her much at all.And she got the hint because she's not bugging me with calls. I don't have time for her chit chat. Or her crap. She just wants my candles for FREE.

The candles in the pic are the pits.That wick is the worse I have every seen. Even people who buy candles should pass this up although I see people get them at the Dollar Store alot. I can't smell them(had to try). AND not candle nose either.

In my area the big food stores carry candles. Not like these but they aren't filled to the top.The jars are maybe 20 ounces for $5.00. Some big manufacture. The candles I see in your pic looks like the Dollar Store candles near me. In about 5 hours the candle was burned all the way down the middle and I couldn't smell it.

People are telling me they are finding candles in a hardware store etc.I need to go there because I think it is privately owned and people say the prices are to high for them and want to know where they can get mine. Might need to talk to the owner.Might be able to sell to him wholesale cheaper than what he gets his for from whoever.

Shops and stores around here that are owned by people buy the expensive Yank** candles and of course they are always 1/2 off . Former friend goes there and also tells me about them. Did you hear of this scent and that scent and hints to me she loved it. IMO these stores are losing money to have to mark them 1/2 off just to move them. It is the name they want in their shops etc.I am sure they aren't making $1.00 if that when they pay the wholesale cost. Then mark down 1/2. We locals could deliver and no shipping.

LynnS