Mr Do Right Molds on Ebay

bugtussle

There are several mold makers here on this board (myself included) who make much higher quality molds than that.

If you're looking for an HDPE mold, I would, of course, recommend mine at http://loganbearcandles.com/Molds.html There is also Rich at http://www.soaphutch.com/ , Kesei molds, Silvermoon, etc...

If you are looking for a wood mold, there is Paul (soapmaker man) here http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=5260931

Do a search here and maybe some other forums to see what people are saying about the different manufacturers. All of these will, most likely, be more expensive than Doright but you get what you pay for. You can get a Doright mold to play around with and learn to make soap but don't expect it to last much beyond that.

I don't want this to sound like a shameless plug. That's why I'm suggesting you check out everyone I've listed and more. I'm sure others will chime in with their favorites.

Good luck.

I'll go there. On Jeff's list there's one I wouldn't recommend, but there are a lot of mold makers out there. Personally, besides the misty creeks I have, I'm done with wood. Can only handle so much leaking and warping. So really, if you're looking for a mold ... you won't regret the plastic ones and they take up a lot less room too!

THANKS for all the replies!! So DH is cheap, but he thinks he is thrifty! We are giving each other a TOG mold for Christmas. Since Jeff is nearly in our backyard, 60 miles. I guess it will be Jeff's. We have several of Julie's wood molds and I like them fine but DH hates to line them. He does the mixin' so he wins. Carole

I use dorights, I have for about 3-4 years. The last 8 that I bought sucked so bad that as soon as I'm able to afford a switch to Jeff's log molds I'm going. We won't even MENTION the travisty of a co-op that went on last year but I blame the hostess for taking the damn things apart to begin with when she was advised not to. I have two molds from that particular co-op that the bolts sit at an elevated angle because they're both the same side. DUH.

The workmanship on the dorights sucks and since I have about 24 of these, it's impossible to keep the pieces all together. They really aren't interchangable anymore with the newer ones in the mix, so I have a few molds I get to put together with a hammer and pour at a thick trace or we have soap everywhere.

As for sticking, I can go a few months without a hitch, then BAM, every damn one of them sticks. I'm still baffled by this even after 3 years using the same set of molds. Cussing doesn't help. I don't wash them with soap to keep the seasoning, like cookware... and they don't go into the dishwasher anymore either. I started using cyclo to season them with, seems to be working better than mineral oil on these particular molds.

Go figure.

I won't line a mold. No way, no how. I'd give up soaping first, hows that for stubborn?

I use the doright molds and never had a problem with warping, etc, until the last 2 that I bought. I got those off the classies here, and they were so warped that they were not usable until additional holes were drilled in them for more screws.

I do not put mine in the dishwasher and try to put them right back together after using them. I prefer the 2 lb ones. That one that says 3 lbs with that extra bottom has always baffled me. Those are the ones that I have trouble with.

I have 2 that are about 5 or 6 years old, which I keep as 'extras' and they are still ok. One needed a layer of saran wrapped around the bottom piece when I did MP in it, but that's it. No warping.

I'm partial though to my KELSEIS, UPLANDS, SILVERMOON AND EGBHOUSE SILICONE MOLDS.

If I needed another HDPE mold though, it would definitely be from Jeff as I heard from several people that his craftmanship and customer service is great. And he's modest to boot!

We won't even MENTION the travisty of a co-op that went on last year but I blame the hostess for taking the damn things apart to begin with when she was advised not to.

Oh FFS is THAT what happened? Geesh, cost me a pretty penny for stuff that ended up in the TRASH. Nice. Very nice. Makes no sense since WE paid for the shipping to us - so what was the reason for dissasembling them then? Oh, nevermind.

I just bought from Jeff, today actually, the molds get here in a few days!!! I can't wait to play. Given all the reviews of molds, I have yet to see a bad one about Jeff's molds, (but have seen at least 2 bad ones from each of the other companies) so I ponied up the dough. I HATE HATE HATE lining and I'm god awful at it. 8 boxes of freezer paper later on only about 30-35 batches... screw it!

come on girls,

I hate it when someone reverses the good intentions of another and then chops down their character intentionally. Like its no big thing to trash someone in public. hmmmm whats worse, making a honest mistake, or intentionally being cruel and unfair.

Every new product co-op gets totally confusing and will only run better the second or third time around.

I am sure the idea was suggested by another participant that wanted to save money on shipping, and thinking it would a benifit everyone, the host decided to go with it.

But forget all that, lets just trash the host around the board, and throw insults at her for months to come. Maybe even follow her around the board and reply to her posts with rude comments, make her never want to host another co-op again, or better yet, make her so uncomfortable that she never wants to come on this board again.

Please dont make me think you are those type of people. You have such creative minds, use them for good.

:sad2: :rolleyes2

well perhaps it's not all about trashing the co-op person. maybe it's about making things clear.

because the mold parts I got didn't go together properly I've not only written off the maker of the mold but clearly (see above) recommend strongly against him. but maybe the prob wasn't with the molds themselves and I've inadvertently "trashed" the wrong person.

come on girls,

I hate it when someone reverses the good intentions of another and then chops down their character intentionally. Like its no big thing to trash someone in public. hmmmm whats worse, making a honest mistake, or intentionally being cruel and unfair.

Every new product co-op gets totally confusing and will only run better the second or third time around.

I am sure the idea was suggested by another participant that wanted to save money on shipping, and thinking it would a benifit everyone, the host decided to go with it.

But forget all that, lets just trash the host around the board, and throw insults at her for months to come. Maybe even follow her around the board and reply to her posts with rude comments, make her never want to host another co-op again, or better yet, make her so uncomfortable that she never wants to come on this board again.

Please dont make me think you are those type of people. You have such creative minds, use them for good.

:sad2: :rolleyes2

You think whatever you wish. If it's about me make no mistake, yes I'm a bitch, you are correct so no reason to wonder if I'm one of "those" people. I am. But I also tell it how it is with facts. I'm not being cruel, I'm being honest. If honesty is too hard to accept, that's not my fault is it? I'm not shy but you'll not see me stalking anyone. I'll leave that to those "other" kind of people you know so well. I can also multi-taskand be a creative bitch.

That co-op was screwed. Simple as. The lack of craftsmanship on those molds was inexcuseable. No second chance for a good impression. Too bad. Next. And no, those molds never should have been disassembled and I did tell her that. He ships them fully assembled for a reason... HOWEVER, had they been made to his prior standard, it really wouldn't have mattered, they'd have worked, which they did not. Her disassembling them caused me two left sides, it really is that simple. Sadly, someone else got two right sides so I'm not the only one.

Facts are what they are. Doright molds have gone downhill over the years. I own enough of them, I know. Simple enough.

I don't own one of these molds BUT when I asked a question regarding mold recommendations, one of the first pm's that came my way was not to use Mr. DoRight Molds due to the quality of the molds not being what they used to be. I can see, as an outsider never having used the molds, both sides of this. No we should not be 'trashing' the hostess but at the same time, there were specific instructions given by what has been said that weren't followed and therefore alot of people in that co op lost money on a defective mold....possibly to apease one person who wanted to save on shipping. There is however a lesson for everyone to learn....an expensive one both monetarily and in credibility. And that would be follow the manufacturer's instructions. When things are handcrafted it is really difficult to replicate the same thing over and over again. This was probably the reason for the instruction not the disassemble because this moldmaker probably knew the parts were not interchangeable. The lesson for him would be to make that known.

These lessons, no matter how painful they can be, are why these forums are so great. :yay:

When things are handcrafted it is really difficult to replicate the same thing over and over again. This was probably the reason for the instruction not the disassemble because this moldmaker probably knew the parts were not interchangeable.

You're right. It is difficult to replicate a handcrafted item but not impossible. With the right tools, patience and attention to detail, it can be done to a very fine degree of accuracy. Taking notes is also very important just as it is in candle and soap making. If you were to buy a mold from me today and then purchase the same mold a year from now, I guarantee you that the pieces would be completely interchangeable. All my molds are within 1/64" of each other.

In fact, if my mold business continues to increase, I will be looking to get a computerized router. That will tighten my tolerances to .001" (0.0254 mm). That's much thinner than an average human hair! Don't tell my wife though because it'll probably set me back $20k.

You're right. It is difficult to replicate a handcrafted item but not impossible. With the right tools, patience and attention to detail, it can be done to a very fine degree of accuracy. Taking notes is also very important just as it is in candle and soap making. If you were to buy a mold from me today and then purchase the same mold a year from now, I guarantee you that the pieces would be completely interchangeable. All my molds are within 1/64" of each other.

In fact, if my mold business continues to increase, I will be looking to get a computerized router. That will tighten my tolerances to .001" (0.0254 mm). That's much thinner than an average human hair! Don't tell my wife though because it'll probably set me back $20k.

Point well taken Jeff. Quality and passion. You can't take that kind of attitude unless you are truely passionate about what you do. That is what drives the majority of people in this industry. I know my goal is to exceed the expectations of my clients everytime. It maybe a bit on the ambitious side but, to me quality is what makes me able to be in this industry and not be so concerned with competing pricewise. I will have it no other way. It is refreshing to hear that others share the same passion as I do in the quality of their work.:yay:

One question for those who did buy these molds....has anyone contacted them directly about the problem? I'd be interested to hear what was said by them. TIA

You need to look on Craigs list or maybe even Ebay..It is surprising what you might find..and get alot less expensive than new..

Oh..We won't tell *getdown*

this is very true. i got an upland one off of ebay a few years ago for a fraction of the cost. it is still going strong too.

also, i have a doright mold that i have used once only becaue i prefer my others.