dimensions for quilt?

sudsnwicks

If you are making a quilt for the first time It is pretty large. What are you going to use it for? I started out making mine about 45" x 60" or so. It was a perfect size for a lap quilt. Are you planning on quilting it by hand? . If you lay out the squares on the floor and see how big it is getting. What size squares do you have made?

It is for my bed. Right now we have a full size bed but DH eventually wants us to get a queen size, so whatever bedding I get needs to be queen size in order for me not to have to start all over again later.

My squares are 5"x5" (after seam allowances). It is not my first quilt but it is my first one of this size. The others were all lap-sized.

I'm doing it by hand. I'm not bothered by the amount of sewing needed as I don't have to finish it by any particular deadline. I'm just trying to make sure the numbers sound right.

This link might help you with sizing it. There are quite a few sites that talk about sizes. It depends if you want it long to reach the floor or if you are using a dust ruffle. I just measured the queen size I am almost done with it is 110 x 120. I will need a dust ruffle under it. It is about 6 or 7 inches from the floor. I have a standard height bed not a pillow top mattress, if that helps.

http://quilting.suite101.com/article.cfm/choosing_a_size_for_your_quilt

Thanks for the link! It says a commercial comforter (queen size) is 86"x93". I have a commercial comforter and that seems about right. This was why I was confused, as the batting at 90"x108" was so much bigger. The list of size considerations was helpful as it explained why I might need to make it larger than the standard commercial comforter size.

• 4 weeks later...
LovelyLathers: That is gorgeous! I've made a few, but haven't done anything that intricate yet, just regular squares....(thinking about digging out fabric....shoot, gotta make my grandmas scrapbook for x-mas first...:cry2:)

Thanks, It is regular squares believe it or not. They just are star squares in different sizes then add borders to the smaller squares for some others have more than one square to equal the large one. Really it is not difficult. It is the quilting that got to me. everything in it is done by hand, not a machine stitch in it.

everything in it is done by hand, not a machine stitch in it.
Oh wow, really? Do you have any problem with the seams opening up? You see, mine is being done by hand too, but DH felt it would fall apart more easily and suggested machine stitching. It would be reassuring to know that yours is holding up just fine.

I have not had a problem as of yet and some of my quilts are 15 to 20 years old. I don't use the machine very often. I have trouble with the points when I use it. I make sure i only use quality cotton thread (sulky or gutterman) for piecing and I do use coats and clark quilting thread. Some I prairie quilt with 1 strand of embroidery floss.