Metal votive molds - length of life?

I ran into a really strange problem and can't figure out if it's the molds or the fragrance. Anyhow, I've been noticing a really offputting smell when I release my votives. I've been working every day this week to make candles for an upcoming show and had to stop yesterday because either I have candle nose and am not smelling correctly or I need to follow my gut and stop until I figure out what's going on.

I use palm wax. I've had my votive cups for about 3 - 3.5 years. I have some wick pins that I've had for less time. Anyhow, after each batch, I always scrape off the wax from the previous batch and wipe it out with a paper towel. Just this week I started noticing a really weird smell. It almost smells as if it's rusty metal, but magnified 10x and there's a hint of just I don't know... rotten? to it???

Do votive cups have a length of life to them? I assumed they'd work til they rusted, but I can't get over this smell and it's making the candles smell like it especially on the bottoms. The wick pins are what smells strongest, but the cups smell the same.

Anyhow, has anyone run into this???? I am speechless because I just never expected this to be a problem. I need to pump out a few more votives and I just can't right now. The smell is overwhelming and I don't want to risk ruining the votives and wasting the materials.

Thanks for reading and am very grateful to anyone with insight!!

I should have been more clear. I was scraping with plastic.. I think it used to be an orange peeler before I gave it a new purpose. haha

I used to use wax remover, but it took too long. I'll have to try the oven method. But, I have to chuck these molds. I'm very happy to hear that those who responded already have had theirs for so long! Thanks for the quick responses!!!

I would not chuck them. Put a few layers of paper towels on an old cookie sheet. Put the molds upside down on the paper towels as well as the pins. Put them in a 175 degree oven for 10 minutes, then wipe them out with more paper towels. That should do the trick.

haha! Yeah, they're going in the trash. I put them in the oven and took them out to wipe and yuck! They still reek. Seriously, I don't know how else to describe the smell. It's awful though. Never knew there was such a smell as rotting metal, but that's what it is to my nose. Peeeyew! I'm going to get some more molds at hobby lobby to get me through the weekend.

Where do you get your molds that are lasting forever? The ones I have now came from Cierra Candles.

The best votive molds I ever got were from Missy's, I know, that doesn't help you any now. But they were aluminum. I've never been able to find a votive mold that was aluminum any where else, and I searched hard. Even had some suppliers tell me 'yes, they are aluminum', but if your magnet will stick to them, they are not aluminum. Since they are aluminum there is no rusting :grin2: I always had better luck with my votives sliding out of the aluminum molds....maybe it's just the temp in my basement...but they work great.

Our votive molds are 12 years old. Clean them? Not in the past 10 years. Ours are on strips. Wax builds up all around them and falls off eventually. We couldnt possibly clean them. We pour 10-12,000 a year. No way. Never had any odor from them. I dont know anything about palm wax. Could there be a chemical reaction with the metal cups?

haha! Yeah, they're going in the trash. I put them in the oven and took them out to wipe and yuck! They still reek. Seriously, I don't know how else to describe the smell. It's awful though. Never knew there was such a smell as rotting metal, but that's what it is to my nose. Peeeyew! I'm going to get some more molds at hobby lobby to get me through the weekend.

Where do you get your molds that are lasting forever? The ones I have now came from Cierra Candles.

Candlewic. Sometimes they have a sale where you get 50 cups free for x purchase. I know that's how I loaded up lol.

Thanks for all the helpful responses everyone! I saw candlewic has a deal right now that they're only a quarter each! Whoo hoo! :) I keep seeing nice pictures of votive molds, but of course don't see any of them on any of the sites. Looks as if they all get them from teh same source.

Bugtussle - I think you may be right. The smell came most strong from a couple of oils I have from Candle science. Banana nut bread and pumpkin souffle. I opened the pumpkin souffle and it smells really weird-- it's also older and I got it off the classies. Since I wasn't sure how old it was I chucked it. And the banana nut -- I JUST made some tarts with it a couple of months ago when I first got the oil and they smelled awesome. When I made candles with it this time, they stink! Even in the container candle I put it in - so now I'm not so sure it was the votive molds/pins.

Anyone have either of those FO's? I wonder if it's just me... Or maybe it could be something with the batch of wax I got too.... So many variables!