Pictures of my fire starters

Trappeur

I've never used them in an indoor fireplace, but I use mine in an outdoor one. As far as I can tell, they completely disappear. Those Duraflame logs that you get at the grocery store aren't that much different.

I've never used pinecones in mine--I use sawdust. I've always read that pine resin isn't so good for your chimney.

Those are definitely the prettiest firestarters I've seen yet. Mine are butt ugly, so I just consider them "functional." I don't sell mine--use them and give them away. They're just too ugly to put up for sale. :grin2:

Why thankyou everyone for your kind comments!

Luci, I use horse shavings because I have horses, lol

Gran, they work great in a fireplace - but not gas....You can put them in a wood stove too or outside in the campfire...But not in a gas fireplace....These things would clog the jets I'm sure.....I make them scented and unscented also especially if they are going to be used outside in a pit where food is going to be cooked....I sell them wholesale to stores and I have been selling so many of them in my shop...I sell them retail for 99cents....

Smelly they don't make a mess.....they dissapate in the fireplace...What you do is set your logs in the fireplace, set one of these firestarters in the logs and place a few pieces of kindling or small log near the firestarter and light your wick and there you go! And they really do work! Its no gimmick like I thought it was..

When I make them, I use birch bark, acorns, pinecones, potpourri and even twigs and whatever I can find in the woods...

Thanks everyone!

Trappeur

The fire starters are very pretty. I guess I should make some with all of the pine cones we have here.......but I don't have a real fire place anymore. Just a fake gas one....pretty...but not the same. When I had my studio in Virginia and used a fireplace with an insert to heat the rooms, I just took pieces of left over wax or paper towels with wax on them and put them on the logs and they always worked fine and didn't make a mess. The wax was consumed. I like the idea of cinnamon sticks. I love cinnamon. You sure have been busy.

Donita

I've been making these and using them for years. I use them in my fireplace insert. They melt all over the bottom but it goes away. They are WONDERFUL. I dip the pineconess in wax (cloudy so it gets a good coat) and put them on top of the paper/kindling. They're wonderful!

I just save all my wick trimmings and use those for the firestarters.

I also save all my leftover wax and use that, that way there is no waste ever. ;)

Of course, it makes it hard to scent them b/c essentially they are already scented with a million other scents! LOL

Yours are really pretty.