Key Words

moniek

I am working on my website. What key words can and do you use for people to type in that links it to YOUR website. Could I put on for key words, discount to some of the name brands, like yankme, or home inferiors? That way, if they typed in those namebrands, my website would come up somewhere on the list? Am I making sense??:confused:

You might find yourself in legal limbo if you use "big names" in your tags. It's probably unlikely you'll find trouble, but it could happen. It's an infringement on their business.

Instead, go the "sly" route as it were, and include in all your pages a disclaimer that states "My company is not affiliated with X, Y, or Z, in any way." Then you've got two bases covered. Your disclaimer on scents, and you've popped their name into the mix on search.

That's gonna have to be something you need to look at. Of course there's the traditional "soap, candle" etc. But there's also a lot of searches done for non-standard as well.. Scent names, specific types of wax... styles, jar styles, etc. The more creative you get, the better your overall ranking gets.

I don't think typing in brand names would do you a bit of good. If people are looking for Yankee Candle or another name brand, it's highly unlikely that they will buy yours instead. It would probably serve as a source of irritation that your site would pop up without any relation to Yankee or other brands they are looking for.

Another thing to think about is you could lose your website ranking by using similar key words that link to other sites. I read that in my SEO magazine. I have increased my website ranking by roughly 1,500,000 in the past six months by using only fresh copy and my own key words.