Mold Leaking Help

Okay I've been making pillars for years now and usually never have problems with my molds leaking. However, I am pouring on the hotter side. I don't have any metal tape so I used duct tape. I have taped the hell out of this mold bottom and up the sides. I am pouring around 150-160 and the wax is just pouring out of the bottom :mad:

What and how does everyone else seal their molds? I don't have any mold sealer.

I saw some metal type tape at Wally World. It has some blue backing stuff on it. Is this the right tape? I think it was in the plumbing section or somewhere with the duct tapes. Will plumbers putty work?

Please help I am so frustrated I could scream.

foil tape or plumbers putty will work.

I use StickyTac (used to hold posters on the wall without marking) and have never had a leak.

Where would I find StickyTac at in the craft section possibly? I've never heard of foil tape where would I find that? Plumbers putty I bought some of that once I think I may have bought the wrong kind I'll look again.

I have had terrible leak problems with the palm pillars, as it is poured so hot, and tore my hair out!!!!! I now use plumbers putty with fantastic results. It costs a bit more but you save a lot more time and wax. It stinks but does not affect the wick. I have tried all sorts of tape and things but if you are pouring this hot, you need to try this putty. I spent months trying to resolve this problem, lots of leaks later!!!!!!:(

For those who are interested, I developed a method of sealing molds that I use, that once you get the hang of it, will seal your molds without putty, glue, or tape. I threw all that gunk away years ago.

You'll need some things, all of which you can buy or make.

In case the attachment process doesn't work, send me an e-mail and I'll send it to you.

waxesandwicks@connecttime.net

Fredron

I use wick pins....I make a little donut with the putty and then stick the wick pin in. The wick pin has always stayed secure....I then use popsticle sticks to keep the wick pin centered ( I got that tip off this board :)

I use both tape and putty. Also, I do something similar to what bac does except that instead of popsicle sticks I use the things from the wick centering tool company. I don't have a problem keeping the wick centered with those.

There are so many ways people wick molds. I wick them differently depending on what kind of candle I am making. I use wick pins, that works great, I use metal tape, that works great, when I am making chunk candles, the wax is cool so I use a little wick screw next to the wick....wrap it around a few times and put one or two pieces of masking tape over it to hold it in place. When I pour hot, for plain pillars or mottles, at about 180 degrees, then I like metal tape or wick pins. If you are only pouring a few candles you can place them on damp sand and if they start to leak, the cool water in the damp sand makes the wax set up. I have large plastic tubs for that. They also work well for me when pouring slanted layers because the sand hold them in place.

Donita