Take a look at my site..

CandleLytes

and tell me whatcha think. I have worked really hard on getting the main information up. I recently had my house catch fire and pretty much everything was destroyed either by fire or smoke and water, including my digital camera, so getting pics up there is a little hard right now but I plan to. But over all what do you think. I used to have a marbled background but that looked plain to me. Especially check out my Scent of the Month page and tell me if I'm missing anything.

www.sparkyscandles.org (had to take .org because believe it or not everything else was taken) I plan to change that in the future.

I appreciate any and all advice.

*crosses her fingers*

It's the combination of both the background, the layout and the text. All of it is very bright and hard on the eyes. There needs to be a muted color in there to offset it, maybe the layout, since from what I could focus on for a few moments was a custom background.

I don't think it is too bright either. But, just from a quick glance, I'd recommend putting info about where you are located and a contact #. I personally don't like a website that doesn't list that or a contact number and will avoid those like the plague. To many scammer out there - not saying you are a scammer but I like to know where I am ordering from and be able to call if I need to.

I don't find it bright at all ~ in fact, I think the colors are quited muted. Maybe changes were made between these posts though.

One thing I would remove is the "prices are subject to change without notice" statement. Not necessary. You MUST honor whatever price is on the website, you cannot change it afterward, so this is not needed. Post the price, they'll buy if they want it :)

Next issue (actually most important IMO) is the URL name. You've opened yourself up to a C&D possibility since somebody else is already operating a candle business by the same name. It not certain that they will care, but they might, and you'd be up a creek because they were there first. I would suggest looking into a new name that can be secured with a "dot com" site ~ you'll be much easier to find by the general public.

the box option I have for center pager is checked. I go through yahoo to host my site, I know I know, I'm cheap. But it's there and checked. And it's centered on my monitor so I'm not sure what else I can do? Any tips?

Glad the site didn't look too bright, I was worried.

Thanks for everyone's replies.

I am currently looking for a new place to hold my site... CHEAP. Times are hard, ya know?

Next issue (actually most important IMO) is the URL name. You've opened yourself up to a C&D possibility since somebody else is already operating a candle business by the same name. It not certain that they will care, but they might, and you'd be up a creek because they were there first. I would suggest looking into a new name that can be secured with a "dot com" site ~ you'll be much easier to find by the general public.

I already tried contacting the sites with the name even remotely close to mine. ONe of them was mine when I first started on a website and the URL name subscription has not run out but I am unable to point those servers at yahoo so I just have to deal until it opens back up. The other two sites do not exist but the domains are not active.

So because of where I put things makes it bright?

The layout, the boxes behind the text that lay over the background. Since the background is what it is, you can't really change the brightness on it too much, so my personal suggestion would be to bring down the text box colors a few shades. There is not enough contrast.

Well I think if you tone down your white to a slight cream you should be fine there. The purple overlaying border ... could you shrink it a little. And the red on there, though it draws attention, looks tacky because the color doesn't fit. What will this front page include? Will there be a picture or pictures? etc. I haven't gone to any of your links yet, because I think the visual right now just kind of stops you and needs some attention first.

Well I think if you tone down your white to a slight cream you should be fine there. The purple overlaying border ... could you shrink it a little. And the red on there, though it draws attention, looks tacky because the color doesn't fit. What will this front page include? Will there be a picture or pictures? etc. I haven't gone to any of your links yet, because I think the visual right now just kind of stops you and needs some attention first.

That cream could be just the answer, with everything being stark light colors, that would make it a lot easier for the eyes.

ETA: And I too have not gone to any other links. That front page needs to draw people in want to click other links, and right now, I don't want too personally, as a consumer standpoint.

Let me start by saying purple is my favorite color... and lavender is my favorite shade... that being said... I would rethink my color scheme.. it looks like a baby shower site or a baby clothing site. If you are against changing the site color scheme (which absolutely is your right :) ) I would change the candles in the pictures to pastels and whites... the current ones almost clash with the feel of the page... it just doesn't flow.

As far as the domain... I personally would have passed on the .org - people for the most part don't think .org unless it's a charity or government organization. However since you have already purchased it and if you have advertised it.. the deal is done. If that is the case I would recommend once you buy the .com that you keep the .org for a while and forward it to the .com. People tend to bookmark sites they like and if they go to yours one day and it is just gone.. they will assume you are gone too. If you haven't advertised the .org site - I would rethink my domain name and just purchase a new one so I would have the same domain right out of the gate.

As far as hosting I use http://www.lilhouse.com I have for many many years and love the price and service.

I hope I didn't come across as rude.. that wasn't my intention... I have a bit of knowledge in this field. I am actually a graphic artist, web page designer by trade... candles used to be just my hobby. ;)

HTH,

Chele

A friend of mine put this together for me. I told him I did not want the usual "Primitive" candle website that everyone else seems to have (no offense to those that do) but I wanted something elegant. I might have him change this, and there isn't much there because it is just a tester for me for now. Anyway.... take a look.

http://www.sparkys-candles.com/index.html

Like the new URL?

If you are wondering why I went for the Rose theme is because a rose is both beautiful and most of the time smells awesome. I want my candles to be the same, not beautiful but decent looking and want them to smell wonderful (most tell me they do) I also plan to add a guestbook or another customer comment page if I decide to keep this site. Haven't made up my mind yet.

I like this new direction much better!!! Much "classier" feel. It feels much more upscale. I have no problem with the rose graphic.. your web page colors go well with it on my screen. Font choice is nice as well... just be careful not to over do it on script fonts.. but so far it looks good.

I think this domain is better than .org and easier to tell people of the new site once you make the change. Just tell them it's the same address - just take the hyphen out. I would recommend you carry both domains for a year once you get the new one. Just forward the old one to the new one.. with a note on the old address to update their bookmarks.

Keep up the good work!!!

HTH,

Chele

If I keep the site I plan to add visuals. I don't have a digital camera right now because my house burnt down. It's really expensive as it is to replace our items so I have to prioritize, a camera should arrive just in time for Santa's visit. Wink Wink. Most of my pages will have pics instead of text, that's for sure.