Fund raisers

fredron

Just completed an, for lack of a better word, "interesting", fund raiser, and thought I'd tell my experience to save someone the same disaster. This was a small fund raiser for a gymnastics group, for whom I'd done 3 previous programs. A new chairperson took over, and after receiving my program, ignored the part where they were to pick 15 fragrances, and sent out my entire list of 285. One of their group, familiar with my program, notified her of the error, and she called in a panic. They had already taken the orders and was ready to place their order with me. She cried, sobbed, and moaned so long, soft hearted jerk that I am, I told her to send the order, and I'd deal with it.

Well the order was for 135 candles in 2 sizes, with 101 different fragrances, only 16 of which I had in stock. Some of those fragrances I haven't made in months.

The project is finished now, but NEVER AGAIN.

There are two types of people in the world, warm fuzzies, and cold pricklys. I'm going back to being a cold prickly!

Fredron

You sure do aim to please for going through with them making such a monumental mistake.

As far as testing a huge number of fo--for the first 3 yrs after I retired, I tested at least 200 or more fo. I got up at 5:30 like I did when teaching and worked until at least 4 each day--sometimes into the evening. I think that people thought I was holding seances all the time.

It would probably be best if your fundraising packet ONLY had the fragrances available for the fundraiser so a mistake like that could not happen again. If you are only going to offer x amount of fragrances then those should be the only fragrances even mentioned anywhere on your fundraising information packets.

That will save even more headaches. No sense in listing ALL your fragrances if they aren't all available KWIM. Forgo letting them pick their own. You choose the fragrances you want to offer for the fundraisers.

Angi

I let them "pick" from a limited number of scents BUT I set up a meeting and we choose the scents then. ONLY then do they go on the order form.

What a nightmare....I cant imagine and I would NOT have been so nice...:tiptoe:

tootie

Fredron, I had almost exactly the same thing happen several years ago. I do like you and let the organizers of the fundraiser select 6-8 fragrances from my entire fragrance list. I also give them the option of choosing either 1 or 2 containers, then I make up their order forms, personalized with their selections.

I had a very detailed letter that I sent to the organizers of fundraisers with all that information in it. A group had requested fundraiser information but had never gotten back to me with their decisions, so I was shocked when a person from the school (who was familiar with my policy from previous fundraisers) called me and told me the TEACHER in charge of this had copied my entire fragrance and container list and distributed it to all the students in the school!!!

I didn't want my business reputation ruined, so I filled the orders, but now I always make sure the people get both verbal and written information about how my fundraisers work. I was just stunned that a teacher, of all people, was unable to read a simple information sheet and follow the instructions (provided in a 1-2-3-format list--it couldn't have been simpler!).

We live and learn!

Jane

If my math is right, it looks like you'll have to buy 85 fragrances to fulfill the orders. Do you get them all from the same place? Even if you're just buying sample sizes, that's going to cost a fortune, isn't it?

I hope you don't wind up losing money on the deal.

Well the order was for 135 candles in 2 sizes, with 101 different fragrances, only 16 of which I had in stock. Some of those fragrances I haven't made in months.

Sockmonkey, I may be misinterpreting this, but I thought perhaps he meant that he only had 16 of the candles fragrances poured up. On the other hand, you may be right--I sure hope he didn't have to order all those FOs!! That would be a nightmare.

Jane

Sockmonkey, I may be misinterpreting this, but I thought perhaps he meant that he only had 16 of the candles fragrances poured up. On the other hand, you may be right--I sure hope he didn't have to order all those FOs!! That would be a nightmare.

Jane

Yeah, maybe I misunderstood. I hope I'm mistaken about it anyway.