Craft Fair/Show

MarsBars

I did a craft show yesterday and it was slow as molasses. :( It was my first at that particular location. Last year I attended as a shopper and it was super busy. Most the vendors I spoke with agreed it was super slow and were a little surprised.

I hope this isn't an indication about any upcoming shows.

How has the traffic been at any of your craft fairs or shows this season? :)

My first 2 shows were up this year. I was surprised but the last show I made about 1/2 of what I made last year.Real slow but it was the 4th craft show within 15 miles. I was a little put back since last year was good.

I think I have a chance to get into a show. A huge show the day after Thanksgiving. My customers want me to do it. Say I will do great and thousands and thousands attend.They all go to it every year. I looked up the info and it seems good BUT I need tablecovering to go to the floor.I think we have a place that sells those tablecloths. So another expense besides the $225.00.:rolleyes2

Traffic up, but people are more frugal with their spending right now IMO. Not saying our sales have been down. It has been more roller coaster than anything.

It is a very weird year for sales..

Where I think I will make the money at shows, I don't make what I expect.

Where I don't expect to make the money I do..:rolleyes2

My first 2 shows were up this year. I was surprised but the last show I made about 1/2 of what I made last year.Real slow but it was the 4th craft show within 15 miles. I was a little put back since last year was good.

I think I have a chance to get into a show. A huge show the day after Thanksgiving. My customers want me to do it. Say I will do great and thousands and thousands attend.They all go to it every year. I looked up the info and it seems good BUT I need tablecovering to go to the floor.I think we have a place that sells those tablecloths. So another expense besides the $225.00.:rolleyes2

If you want cheap yet durable table coverings that go to the floor -- check out your local Bed Bath and Beyond (if you have one). I get all of my tablecloths from the clearance section and found oversized restaurant tablecloths there for under $20 each. They are white, so to provide a little "pop" I use a smaller colored tablecloth on top for accent. Works great and I retain some color flexibility with what I choose to lay on top.

I just got home from a 2 day show. There were tons of people and they were buying. It was strange that today was better than yesterday - usually Saturday is the better day. I actually had a few less sales than last year, but the average sale was up so it ended up about even. I didn't sell very many melties and only one votive, but a ton of ornies (stocking stuffers) and quite a few pillars. I only sold 2 of my "Christmas gift" items. I had a few repeat customers which is always a great feeling.

I've only done one show this fall and due to the baby on the way, it's my final show of the year (can't see myself lugging tables, candles and other products much longer). This show was at a church and although it was slower than last year traffic wise, I made more money than I did last year. Of course, I did lower my prices as I am doing an inventory reduction to make room for new products so maybe that helped some. All in all I suppose I did good considering the economy and what I was expecting. There was also another candle maker there though, yet she said she only sold maybe 8 candles total all day. Guess it depends on your product and your customers as many who bought from me were repeat buyers from last year.