wick centering tools?

pregnant and losing it! Literally.. I can't find my wick centering bars, I have looked everywhere, and nothing. Any ideas on something else to use. The wicks I use are pretreated so wrapping around a pencil wouldn't seem like it would work?

Last night I poored a t a really cool temp- which was an accident as I was frantically looking for them. Seemed to work as I could hold the wicks while the candle set up. But, with only two hands and a little one beside, I don't think that is feasible!

Well I'll you what I do and what I've done since I started. You make a template for the bottom of the container (ie a cirle) then fold it in four and cut a small hole in the centre of it. Then open it up and put it in the bottom of the container and you will see the hold in the centre. Take a sharpie and make a mark where that hole is. Then melt your wax and dip the wick tab in the melted wax and place on the sharpie spot and wait a minute or so then pour the rest of your wax when it's ready.

This is the old fashioned way but it works for my different container sizes.

Also I started using the popsicle stick idea as well for holding longer wicks up. I just used a silversmithing drill tool to make the holes.

pregnant and losing it! Literally.. I can't find my wick centering bars, I have looked everywhere, and nothing. Any ideas on something else to use. The wicks I use are pretreated so wrapping around a pencil wouldn't seem like it would work?

Last night I poored a t a really cool temp- which was an accident as I was frantically looking for them. Seemed to work as I could hold the wicks while the candle set up. But, with only two hands and a little one beside, I don't think that is feasible!

I use the technique in this thread

http://www.candletech.com/candle-making-basics/how-to-make-container-candles/

using the bic pen and then the clothespin has been really helpful to me, I did use 2 pens together but by far this is a lot easier.

HTH

AntoniasCreations,

Thank you for that post. This is sheer brilliance. Here I've been doing my method described above and then wiggling the wick around to keep it straight. I'm making more candles tonight so will try this out. :yay:

NP. I thought the same thing when I first found this. It really has made things a lot easier. Glad I could help someone else out.

Antonia

Do the clothespins work really well? I have these metal ones that work so so, but I have a whole bag of clothespins and not very many metal things. . . I am finally going to get back to my candles tonight and any method that will make life easier and cheaper I am all for! Thanks.

I think the clothespins work great and very easy to use. when I was using two pens rubber banded together my wicks would always slide and then be off center.

But with the clothespins, it pulls the wick through the metal hole on it and then pull really tight and clip the wick with the clothespin then I move them all slightly over some (you should be able to move them that much, just enough to pour you wax) and pour the wax into all my containers and then go back a straighten the wick and none of them slide.

I use to put them on after but since I pour my candles very cool sometimes the wax would already be set up after I have pour my candles, so I started doing it before to save my tops.

Give it a try and see if you like it, and if you dont like it you havent lost anything since you already have to clothespins.

Well I HTH you and good luck.

Antonia

I actually wrap around a popsicle stick then secure with a clothespin. I just couldn't get them to stay totally taut with the clothespin alone BUT you might have to be smarter than the equipment you're working with... :embarasse

I actually wrap around a popsicle stick then secure with a clothespin. I just couldn't get them to stay totally taut with the clothespin alone BUT you might have to be smarter than the equipment you're working with... :embarasse

Take a look at the picture in that thread I posted. I was having the same problem until I really looked at the picture to see how they were doing it.

GL

Antonia