GB 444 and cdn wicks

Hello, well major bummer! I was using an all natural soy wax with a melt point of 130 degrees from majestic mountain sage. I was in the testing process. But found out that it was discontinued. I really did not have much luck with it as I thought the melt point was a little high.

So, here we go again! I decided to try GB 444 and will be making a couple testers tonight. I am going to try Eco 14 with 8 ounce 444 and .5 ouce fragrance, 1 drop color. My tins are 3 1/4" in diameter. I hope that works! P.S. I also have eco 10 12 & 16, just wanted to try eco 14 first.

I have CDN 10&12 wicks- has anyone had any luck with these wicks? Do the sizes that I have seem appropriate for the wax/frag/color/tin size? I haven't seen much info on them- candle science doesn't have them on their wick guide

Hope not too many ?? I just went through so many wicks with the other wax! I know that they say not to write any wicks off with a new brand so I do have htps 104 105 1212, lx22, pk15, and two others that i cannot remember!

Thanks for any help

Welcome to the board....

It sound like you are on track for testing those wick sizes with that wax. I dont use the 444 but from what I have read here it seems you will be close.

I know some end up testing double wicks in the 8oz tins cause the bigger wicks mushroom to much.

tootie

Hey thanks tootie, I have seen you a lot on the threads- been reading for a little over a week! You seem to be really helpful!

Well, so far this morning, I have a cdn 10 and a eco 14 burning, The cdn 10 seems to be doing much better than the 14, but has only been an hour.

The flame size on the cdn is larger than the eco, but it doesn't seem to be a flame thrower- so I am not too worried yet.

Ok, 'nothr ? I didn't add coconut oil this time because I wanted to see how it would turn out without it. So should i wick up to a cdn 12 if I do? Or does coconut oil not affect the burn temp?

And when twisting a cdn wich, do you just grab from the top and twist, or start from the bottom and slightly twist to the top? Maybe a dumb one but gotta ask!

Ok, 'nothr ? I didn't add coconut oil this time because I wanted to see how it would turn out without it. So should i wick up to a cdn 12 if I do? Or does coconut oil not affect the burn temp?

IMO, of all my testing I think it depnds on the FO used.. My cranberry marmalade was the same wicking.. My honeydew melon I had to wick up a size..and so on..So I say test each scent..

As far as the twisting of the wick.. I have never tried that. Haven't needed to so far thank goodness.

HTH!:rolleyes2

Emily

Ok, here are a couple pics of the candles. I burned for four hours (do you think that is too long?) 3 1/4 diameter.

First pic is of the cdn 10. Mushroomed, and when put out smoked. Flame seemed decent.

Second pic eco 14 didn't make all the way to edge, flame seemed appropriate size, did not smoke when put out.

post-10302-139458451161_thumb.jpg

post-10302-139458451166_thumb.jpg

So far, from looking at the pics, it looks like you're on the right track as far as wick size.

My personal preference is the ECO wicks because of the example you gave here, little or no smoke when extinguished and, less mushrooming. If I can wick something with an ECO you can bet that's the wick I'll use over all the others.

Yeah, I am liking the eco wicks better. I hope that it will catch up on the this 2nd or 3rd burn. But, I will test larger just to be sure. It just seems that it should have reached the edge by 4 hours...?
The thing with tins (any container in reality but especially metal) is that if you don't wick them JUST right they can end up getting EXTREMELY hot. As that wick burns down it is going to get closer to the bottom of the tin and that is going to cause more heat, that extra heat should take care of any hangup you may have at the top of the tin.

I would test that ECO 14 all the way down and and see how it goes. Dont worry about FMP on the first burn or two. Tins will catch up. Just keep checking that they dont get too hot.

I may have to give the ECO's another try when I mix my waxes this week.....

Dont for get to test EACH scent after you get an idea which wick works. SOMETIMES you have to wick up for the heavier FO's.

tootie

I made another batch (4). I did a 4 hour test burn the first 2. I am now doing 3 hour test burn on this go-around. I made the cdn 10 &12, and eco 14 &16.

The Eco 16 is consuming wax way too fast, which I figured. The Eco 14 for a 3 hour doesn't get nearly where it did on the 4 hour. I really don't like the cdn10 for this, but the cdn 12 really does pretty good on the 3 hour.

Eco 14 does great for an initial 4 hour start burn, but I am not sure if that is too long. So we will have to see these results in a day or two when I am done.

And yes, I will certainly test them all. Oh joy!

I use CDNs exclusively. Tins ARE tricky and should be wicked for the bottom third of the container. In other words, hangup during the first test burn or two is to be expected and the candle will catch up during the last third. Test burn 1 hour per inch of diameter per test session. Once you have burned the tin ALL the way down and are satisfied with the wicking, test another one by powerburning (burn until the candle is consumed) to be sure that the tin doesn't become too hot.

Dipping the wick is my preferred method to extinguish. There is NO smoke and the wick is primed for the next burn. HTH :)