Replacement for emulsifying wax

Debk

BTMS is a conditioning emulsifier. I was just thinking if you didn't know what it was you don't have any of that....:laugh2: . But my suggestion would be wait a little while to see if anyone else can suggest a wax you could use, I can't help you there, and order more. In fact I think ordering more would be better. You already know what to expect with ewax but not with someone's suggested wax as a substitute. Even if it does work you may not like the finished result. Better safe than sorry and you won't have any wasted oils $$$$! That of course is just my opinion.:P

• 2 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Stearic acid and cetyl alcohol are thickeners, not emulsifiers. They act as "co-emulsifiers" only in the sense that they add viscosity to a product, but cannot make a hydrophobic substance hydrophilic (meaning they can't emulsify water and oils on their own). I usually use e-wax as 25% of my oils phase, and cetyl (or stearic) as half of my e-wax amount, depending on desired thickness. With stearic/cetyl and high-shear mixing you can create a false (or temporary) emulsion, but it is unstable and will separate in a short time. Best advice? Order more e-wax! :) HTH!