Ingredients on your webiste?

Love2Scent

I'd hate for someone to pay shipping on a product, to get it and find out I've used something they might be allergic to - especially if I'm using an nut oils.

See, that is why I listed all of mine. Well, that and the fact that I'm pretty darn proud of the good stuff I use. DH is having a cow about it. He thinks people will be able to figure out my recipe(s) from it. I tried (a BILLION different ways) to explain that even if they had my exact recipe that each person's product could still vary a bit. Not to mention that if I removed them and someone really wanted to copy a product they could just buy it and then....there are the ingredients on the label. He is driving me up the wall :rolleyes2

YEs...SOOOOO important YES...lol

So many customers have allergies, and if you don't list the ingredients not only could they have a severe allergic reaction (if they don't read the label when it comes)...but it could lead to a lawsuit ;(

It's always a good idea to speak to a legal rep as well...they know all sorts of details we never think about :)

I list all B&B and if I get this soap right I will also. I'd hate for someone to pay shipping on a product, to get it and find out I've used something they might be allergic to - especially if I'm using an nut oils.

thank you - with my kids' tree nut and peanut allergies this is essential.

if I'm not confident that there is a complete ingredient list on the web site I don't order. (and no, I'm not going to bother writing or calling)

DH is having a cow about it. He thinks people will be able to figure out my recipe(s) from it.

It would be hard to guess the correct proportions. Let's say the ingredient list is: coconut oil, palm oil, olive oil, shea butter, cocoa butter, castor oil. Well then it could be 50% coconut oil, 25% palm oil, 10% olive oil, 5% shea butter, 5% cocoa butter, 5% castor oil. Or it could be 20% coconut oil, 20% palm oil, 20% olive oil, 20% shea butter, 10% cocoa butter, 10% castor oil. Those are 2 rather different recipes.

See, that is why I listed all of mine. Well, that and the fact that I'm pretty darn proud of the good stuff I use. DH is having a cow about it. He thinks people will be able to figure out my recipe(s) from it. I tried (a BILLION different ways) to explain that even if they had my exact recipe that each person's product could still vary a bit. Not to mention that if I removed them and someone really wanted to copy a product they could just buy it and then....there are the ingredients on the label. He is driving me up the wall :rolleyes2

With that line of thinking then any product that lists ingredients would have that concern. It isn't that easy to do since it won't list amounts and the process used. Some might be able to come close but only those that know what they are doing. But seriously, how many folks out there do you think have the time, know how and gumption to do that?

With that line of thinking then any product that lists ingredients would have that concern. It isn't that easy to do since it won't list amounts and the process used. Some might be able to come close but only those that know what they are doing. But seriously, how many folks out there do you think have the time, know how and gumption to do that?

Anyone who could do that, probably wouldn't have to because if they are that experienced at soap making, they probably already have plenty of good recipes.

Anyone who could do that, probably wouldn't have to because if they are that experienced at soap making, they probably already have plenty of good recipes.

You are more than likely correct there. The chances of someone doing this IMO are slim to none whether they have their own recipe or not. But it could happen even with someone that has their recipe should they like what you make. It would still be difficult to replicate though.

Any product, regardless of the type of product, that lists ingredients will always have be open to someone trying to duplicate it. First thing that comes to mind was the email years ago that was supposedly some famous cookie recipe although the name (Mrs. Field's?) escapes me at the moment.

ETA - yes I would list my ingredients on my website for a variety of reasons.

Any product, regardless of the type of product, that lists ingredients will always have be open to someone trying to duplicate it. First thing that comes to mind was the email years ago that was supposedly some famous cookie recipe although the name (Mrs. Field's?) escapes me at the moment.

You always see people trying to dupe B&BW, Body Shoppe, and Lush. A company comes out with something that sells (or a darn good sales pitch), someone will try to hop on the coat tails and ride along. It just happens.

...I'm just as guilty as the next...fragrances included.