New to Soy...question about 464

Well I tried again and made some more testers with my 464 yesterday.

When people say soy is a totally different experience, they aren't kidding!

To put it bluntly, my tops are not so pretty. The ones that I poured a little cooler look a little better (but not as nice as my 4627). CT is very good already though.

Anyhow, my questions are these:

I know pour temp is important, I'm trying to understand why, and apparently varies greatly. Am I correct in assuming that the differences in how my tops look can be attributed to my pouring temp?

Also, I understand that soy has a longer curing time than paraffin. Does this affect throw only? (in other words, if I am just testing my wick/burn should I still wait several days or can they be tested sooner?

Using the wax was a breeze.....now to get the testing down and get them a bit nicer looking....:laugh2:

Thanks everyone for your help

dana

If you are just testing wicks then you can test after 24 hrs or so. This wax does not need a long cure time anyway.

I use this wax and never get rough tops. I dont take temps either maybe I am just lucky.

I am going to move to blending in some Paraffin with this wax to see if I can improve it even more....I LOVED the 6036 and it has been mainly discontinued. The people in my market area dont care if my candles are a blend or not as long as they smell GREAT!!

This wax is one of the easiest to work with of all the soy's I have tested. It is great alone or mixed.

tootie

The 464 IMO is about as perfect as soy can get....the only thing would be NO frosting what-so-ever BUT we all know that aint happening!!

I dont color so I dont know if frosting is a bad issue with this wax or not....

The reason I am blending in the paraffin is because I think it helps with the look and the scent throw. Dont get me wrong this wax is GREAT on its own but I truly LOVED the 6036 and I am trying to duplicate that wax if I can.

tootie

Hmmm the wicks CS recommended seem to be too big I'm using ECO's......and wow do the tops look horrible after burning :rolleyes2

I think I need to wick down some.

CS recommended ECO...does anyone use these with the 464?

I remember reading that a lot of people use the CD wicks with this wax. CS didn't have those. I do have some of their CSN wicks for my palm wax, but I don't know how they compare to the CD's.

Right now the containers I am testing are 6oz tins. I also poured a few 4oz JJ, but I don't think I'll be sticking with that container so that isn't as big of an issue.

Ah, the joys of testing......*cha-ching*

Thanks

Dana

I like the Eco's and the cd's.... Can't make my mind up yet which one I like the best.. I tend to get a better burn with the eco's but I THINK the cd's give a better scent throw.. I am working on this dilema as we speak!

....I have just started testing the 6 oz tins but for now it looks like an eco 6 will be a good starting point..or a cd 8.... I know Tootie does the 6 oz tins so she may have a more accurate input...

For the 4 oz & 8 oz jelly jars, most of my scents will work with an Eco 4 or cd 8 also.....

I love this wax... The throw is awesome..cold or hot..frosting was my issue but you are not coloring your candles so you should be just fine....

HTH!:rolleyes2

Emily

That makes perfect sense :) I don't color my candles so frosting isn't an issue...

Thanks for your help!

dana

I have noticed that alot of people have mentioned frosting isn't an issue since they went to no color. But in my expeirence( we use light color) the candles we do with no color, they are the ones that tend to frost...so I was just curious if anyone has noticed this?

I do see some frosting, or what I think is frosting, on the 4oz jj.

I would think it would be much more obvious with color, but since I am new to soy and don't color my candles I have no experience with this....

CS had recommended a ECO 10 which of course was way too big.....I had tested ECO 8 and 10. Of course I didn't order any ECO 6's so I need to order those.

Maybe I will look into the CD's as well from a different supplier.

Thanks for the info!

Dana

I like the CD's. I didnt test the 464 in the 6oz tin yet....but I used a CD6 with 6006 so I think a CD8 would be a good starting point for this wax in the 6oz tin.

I tested ECO's but they consumed the wax faster and the scent throw was not there IMO.

tootie

• 10 months later...

Heinz Jansen makes Stabilo (CD) and Stabilo KST (CDN). They changed the name some time ago, but few of us use the new designation... (old habits die hard).

CDs & CDNs are exactly the same wick except that the CDN is treated with a patented treatment which resists oxidation from the higher acidity of veggie waxes. CDNs are not easy to find - JBN has them and there are a few other sources I can't remember right now... Sample packs are the way to go as they give you several of all the sizes they carry. CDs are easier to find and many suppliers carry them. Again, get sample packs when you can. You may be glad you have a selection of wick types & sizes in the future. HTH :D

Hi Everyone,

I have used ez Soy in the past. I hear so much about the 464 I was just wondering how they compare to each other if anyone has used both??

I think the ez soy has good throw and looks great if poured at 100*

I never mainly used it because i was only testing a whole bunch of waxes at the time I had ordered it and never quite got the wicking down.

I am using it to blend with my 6006 and 223 currently and do love it.

sandy