Patchouli Straight or Mixed

kagnew6768

Do you mix your patchouli scent with other scents or use it straight? What reactions do you get from customers? I had a few folks ask me about patchouli scented candles at my last craft show and I had not used the scent before but now have a sample. I'm going to pour up a few but didn't know if I should try it straight or mixed. Your thoughts?

I have some diehard patchouli customers that like it straight, but I also mix it. I personally also make patchouli/lavender, patchouli/vanilla & patchouli/orange. You can mix it with just about any other scent though to get great candles, so don't limit yourself.

• 1 month later...

hi,

i recently started playing with patchouli, what a pain to wick! about what percent of patch do you mix with your other FOs, or does it vary a lot? i'd love to get some of that 60's smell mixed in with other fragrances. ;) any help is appreciated!

thanks!

ei

It really depends on what scent you are trying to mix with the patchouli. I use the q-tip method to give me a starting point. Dip a q-tip in your patchouli and another in whatever FO you're trying to mix. Close it up in a baggie and sniff it at least an hour later to see what the combined scent smells like. If I need more patchouli, I dip another q-tip and add it to the baggie, sniffing later. If this is the right combo, you'll know you need to add 2/3 patchouli to 1/3 other scent. It's not perfect, but gives you a good starting point. :cool2:

I mix patchouli if I want my fragrance to be more earthy. You have your straight patchouli lovers granted but I think it adds a woody earthy base to a lot of fragrances including vanilla, citrus, and flowery scents. I would keep the ratio low on the patchouli when blending and add more a little at a time if you feel it needs it.