Candle problems- see pics

I have just started making beeswax candles. I started buring them today and they don't look good. One is tunneling really bad and the other is also tunneling and now the side has opened and wax dripped out the hole. It is also discolored on top. Please take a look a the pics and let me know what you think. I used the square braided wicks in the right sizes so why would this happen?

http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2022121970101087621HmxTZE?vhost=good-times

http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2813228280101087621bYtrRM?vhost=good-times

It looks to me also that the wicking is too large for it, it's blown out the side. But before trying another wick, one of two suggestions.

If you wick through a hole then pour the candle, try twisting the wick before pouring the wax, get a good twist all the way through. That way as it burns down, it will spin a bit giving it a bit more even centered burn as it goes.

If you pour and then wick after with a drill or using a wick pin, twist the wick a bunch and insert the wick on the bottom, heat it a bit to secure it nice and so it won't move. Then on the top, twist a bit more, because it'll untwist a bit when you push it through, and zap the top with some heat a bit to hold the twist at the top.

Try burning again and see what happens.

Exactly what size square braid did you use for each of the candles?? Star shape candles are pretty, but are really a waste of wax and money because you'll only get a circular burn and the points will always be left. Your pillar looks like a 3" diameter.....for that size I use a #5 square braid with my particular beeswax. I wick my mold and do twist the wick as it does help with a more even burn, plus I keep it trimmed to 1/8", no higher. With the square braid wicks you will get a high flame, so you need to keep it centered and trimmed. :cool2:

Thanks so much for the advice. I did not know about twisting. I am new at this. I will have to get more wick sizes and play around with them. The pillar is 2" and I used square braided wick size 2/0 which is supposed to be for a 2"-2.5" I will just keep testing. I assume I can just remelt the wax.

Absolutely, you can remelt it!! 2" candles are a pain in the butt to wick, no matter what wax you are using. 2/0 should work, but you may want to try a 1/0 and see how that compares. Usually if the candle is blowing out the side, you need a larger wick, so it burns the wax faster, which should prevent the blow out.