Preservative killin' my fragrance???

RNSandSCENTS

My 2nd round of testers for traditional sugar scrub came back again with positive results but since they were only 1 oz containers I did not put any preservatives in them. Now that I have preservatives I wanted to make them larger. My recipes is as follows:

60% Sugar

38% Oil

1% Fragrance

1% Phenonip

The directions that I have do not tell me to heat the oils...could this be why the preservative is drowning my fragrance? I can smell it but I smell the preservative more. The directions I have say to mix the fo and oils for 2 minutes then add the sugar mix 2 more minutes then add your preservative and mix another minutes. Can someone please tell me what I did wrong? My butters and my lotions all smell fine but I am stumped here....

Ok maybe I am crazy or tired but I went back and smelled them. They have been sitting out for about an hour or so. Now I don't smell the preservative in the ones I did first. The ones I did last, the preservative smell is not as noticeable:confused: Maybe this insomnia is getting the best of me....but scrubs smell lovely!:bliss:

I've never had an issue with smelly preservative in my scrubs. However, I put the preservative and the FO in the oils and melted butters and mix mix mix, only adding the sugar at the very end, and usually after letting the oils/butters/FO/preservative mixure set up over night. Sugar seems to incorporate better that way.

I use the Germabin Plus but I have no problems with smell. I've read with some perservatives that you have to add it when your emulsion is cool.

When I make my scrubs I heat the oils and butters then whip in the sugar. After everything has been whipped several times and has cooled down I add perservative - whip some more then add in color and fragrance.

If the perservative is overpowering the fragrance you may try upping the FO to 2%.

I've never had an issue with smelly preservative in my scrubs. However, I put the preservative and the FO in the oils and melted butters and mix mix mix, only adding the sugar at the very end, and usually after letting the oils/butters/FO/preservative mixure set up over night. Sugar seems to incorporate better that way.

I do the exact same thing, except I add the preservative when I do the sugar. It works wonderfully.

I often read about people putting lotion filled bottles in the micro to mix the scent in, after it is heated. This totally kills the preservative system, in most cases. Makes me cringe.

I often read about people putting lotion filled bottles in the micro to mix the scent in, after it is heated. This totally kills the preservative system, in most cases. Makes me cringe.

Would this be the case in bases as well? WSP's basic lotion base states:

Measure base and place in Pyrex cup. Heat in microwave on very low, intermittent heat. Once liquid, add 1% cosmetic fragrance oil or 1/3% essential oil. Add cosmetic color as desired. Mix well. Pour into bottles. Allow to cool to room temperature before applying top. Label.

ETA: I don't heat til liquid myself, found it didn't need it, so I warm slightly to make it just a bit more runny.

Ingredients are:

Water, Glyceryl Stearate, Cetearyl Alcohol, Proysorbate-60, Stearyl Alcohol, Sunflower Oil, Allantoin, Propylene Glycol, Isopropyl Palmitate, Petrolatum, Diazolidinyl Urea, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, BHT, Disodium EDTA, Carbomer, Benzophenone-4, Stearic Acid.

But their luxury base does NOT say to heat. Would those two preservatives be okay in their base, or is it ill advised anyways? TIA!

I have to correct my post from earlier. The Vanilla Bean Noel came from WSP. Now my old fashioned sugar scrubs are fine BUT my body butter is a problem. Now I have made batches of butters with Vera Wang and Tropical Punch from SOS no problem...testers came back with rave reviews, especially the Tropical Punch BUT this darned VBN *&^%#^*! It keeps seperating. The batch is fine until I add this particular fo and ZAP....I've got snot!!! Now I will admit, I did not put any vanilla stabilizer in it because its only a test batch but would not having it cause the seperation? My understanding of vanilla stabilizer was just to help with the color. Or, is it just this fo? It is a DEAD ON DUPE and I'd hate to not be able to use it but my butter looks more like snot!:D