Soy candle smelled like burning wire

I don't do soy, so please forgive my dumb question. Friend of mine received a soy candle for a gift. It tunneled so badly she gave up burning it and stuck a votive in the center, because it was arranged so nicely. She said it kept going out. But the weirdest thing is that she said it smelled like burning wires. What might that be? This gal burns lots of candles, used to sell PartyLite, and she is one of my testers. She never even heard of soy before receiving this one. (soy is not big here). Obviously a candle underwicked and not tested. What do y'all think?

I think it was a poorly made candle.. :cool2:

Not necessarily so. Soy can change from batch to batch and there have been some batches that were really bad. There have been discussions in threads on here about this. It has happened to me twice that I've gotten batches where my wicking completely changed all together. That is the frustrating thing about soy.

As for the burnt smell, it was probably the wick.

Are you sure she didn't smell a 'fuel' smell? Thats a rather common problem with the fragrance oil and can be fixed by mixing the oil with another oil such as a vanilla.

I have smelled those fuel smells before. I bought a candle once that smelled like kerosene when it burned-- from a well known candle company too! I also once had a testor that had a funny burned fabric smell until I remixed the oil and retested it.

She mentioned "burning wire". Could this have been a zinc or (God forbid) a lead wick?

If there was a "wire" in the wick, it would not have been lead but zinc. I dont' use zinc in soy becuase I've not had any luck with it - it burns too cool. But the candles I've burned with zinc never had a burning metal smell.

Thanks again, everyone. I sent the link to this thread from my friend and she was very impressed. She said thank you very much to everyone and said "WOW! Excellent network of pros. The scent was supposed to be pumpkin spice – and smells that way when NOT lit"

Well my guess is that stearic acid was used with the soy. I tried a making a candle with soy and palm wax and used stearic acid forgot how much I used but had read on a candle wax site how much to use and it smelled similar to what you are describing. I haven't used it since and switched to coconut oil (a small amount) and it works much better.