Wick problem to with 1 FO

Long rant due to frustration.

I am on my second fragrance of Chestnuts and Brown Sugar. Gave up on the first company's scent.I use 402 soy wax and used 100% cotton wicks.The medium is 60 44 18 and the large is 62 52 18.Both med and large wicks drowning. Never had this with any fragrance in a 8 ounce JJ. The melt pool took forever and burn was slow then when a full melt pool a very low flame till eventually it was almost out.

Now I am on the second Chestnuts and Brown Sugar(different company) and same problem lwith medium wick. Melt pool was faster but the flame seems to be getting slower and MIGHT drown out soon. If not the flame will be smaller and you cannot get a good scent throw with aa candle burning this way. I haven't tried a larger wick with this but the way things are looking I will have the same problem as I had above.

A mother and daugher are waiting for this order.Their favorite scent and been looking for 3 years for it.The daugther almost settled for the bad burn to just have the candle when I showed her the problem with the 2 wicks. I told her I was sure the next company's will work since 3 years ago I did have that scent and did fine.They are expecting the candles this week and now I have to try a large wick. Which I am afraid will not work either.Just the way the medium looks now. Usually we can tell.

Sorry so long but frustrating. Any ideas??? I hate to keep buying more and more wicks and more and more fragrance from different companies. Oh and I am getting another Chestnuts and Brown sugar from a 3rd company in a few days.

This candle has only been burning less than a hour and I knew a big problem.

Thank You

LynnS

i use millcreek's chestnuts & brown sugar in gb415 (which has a higher melt point then the 402) @ 1.5oz. pp. in the 12 sided 6.5oz jars & i use mc's 51 cotton wicks in them with great results (full melt pool, no drowning out). you can try cutting back to 1oz. oil pp.

I use 1 ounce per lb. I see where you use 1.5 ounces.I guess that wouldn't work for me???? I want this in the 8 ounce JJ but do think for a bigger jar I need more FO or a larger wick.Larger wick is what i am trying next but didn't work for the first company.In fact just the same burn and major drowning.I could tell within a 1/2 hour this company's FO's wasn't going to work either.Flame was getting lower. :cry2:

If I didn't have a customer who loves only this I would ditch it.That fed up.The mother and daughter have been looking for 3 years for it. No wonder they cannot find it. Bad FO to wick.

IF I went up to 1.5 ounces I am sure there would be drowning and never wicked down for any scent.

I know I am wasting time but won't take long.Will wick up and let everyone know what happens.But with my experiences so far I am almost pos. I know the outcome. :sad2:

LynnS

the 6.5oz jars & jj's hold the same amount of wax. the 6.5oz jars are straight sided & the width of the top of the jj. yes, i use 1.5oz. pp of millcreek's chestnuts & brown sugar with no problems. i use their 51 cotton wicks, full melt pool. our you trimming your wicks to short? most suppliers recommend 1/2" as soy is harder to get burning.

I have wondered about the trimming. I am now using the larger wick and have a full melt pool with this same FO from a different company.Got the melt pool BUT the flame is low but not to the point of almost burning out with the first company's Chestnuts and Brown Sugar.I was in a hurry and didn't let it cure but the scent would be MUCH stronger if the flame wasn't a small one. The melt pool is all around but a little wax on the side.That might catch up after it burns for awhile.

I have my 3rd Chestnuts and Brown Sugar coming this week. Will see about that.

Since this a favorite of a big potential customer I am going to give the mother and daughter a candle and let them decide what they think.They were ready to take the lousy burn but I insisted not. So if they like them then they can get more.I will not sell them 12 (their order of this FO) without burning it for themselves.

I used this FO from this last company 3 years ago and it was a favorite of another customer. Her whole house was scented and loved it. Now this same FO is burning different. Same wick etc.

It was suggested wickless( I thought of that too). I had it on my burner yesterday. I would have to go to a smaller jar because it took 2 hours for it to get a full melt. People want instant fragrance and not wait. Still a consderation for them.Might make the wickless also for them to try.

LynnS

Well I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one having troubles with this FO!!

I am using Eco PB soy for my votives and I still don't have a decent burn on them. The last wick I tried was an HTP 105, and I'm too afraid to go any higher. I mean this is a votive!! :rolleyes2

It's a total bummer, cause this fo really does smell great!!

Dublon,

I am glad too it wasn't just me because I have been going nuts the last 2 weeks. Have a order for 12 and then see a HUGE problem.

I did try 2 fo's(Chestnuts) from 2 different companies.Terrible and they were expensive FO's. This week I ordered from Berts and this FO is doing fine with either the medium or large wick.Same wicks I mentioned above.

The large wick was kinda a high flame but hey it worked.Then after the second burn it was OK too.The third burned seemed to get a low flame but moved it out of the kitchen and to the master bedroom/bath and the flame seemed to perk up. Enough to say it is going to work. Hey the throw is great and that is what matters. Now I am testing a medium wick and seems to be OK too. Think I will stay with the large one though.

This solves the problem and the other 2 Chestnuts and Brown Sugar never did have much of a flame from the beginning. After a full melt pool it either went out or looked like it was going to. Wasted money.

LynnS