Don't cha hate it when--rant

Gotta rant to someone! Don't cha hate it when the wax you've used forever has changed? I've used igi's 1343 for years for some mini pillars I make. I make so many that I had 30 custom made metal molds made for the 2.25 X2.5 mini pillars. Always used a lx 12 wick with excellent burn no matter what the fo. Just ordered new case($113 with shipping) & even a 60 cotton wick won't burn the wax. I tried every wick in my arsenal & finally realized it wasn't the fo, but the wax. Now I've got to reorder wax, & hope it is better. Not a good day for me, lol. Thanks for listening!PamR

Hey,

I don't chat much here anymore but I'm kind of glad to see someone else having issues with 1343, I thought I was crazy. (OK don't answer that)

I've been over here searching because I'm having the same issues, plus fingernailing horribly. (the worst I've ever seen in this wax)

I don't know what to do, they raise the price of this wax and then it seems like the quality has gone down hill. That is what I think upsets me the most. I'd love to boycott IGI at this point but who do I turn to? With Candlewic I'd have to pay shipping, and right now with IGI I don't.

Sorry, no answers for you but misery loves company, right.

Karen B

Hey,

I don't chat much here anymore but I'm kind of glad to see someone else having issues with 1343, I thought I was crazy. (OK don't answer that)

I've been over here searching because I'm having the same issues, plus fingernailing horribly. (the worst I've ever seen in this wax)

Yep, I noticed the fingernailing too, it's awful! At least now I know I'm not the only one, lol. Probably just a bad batch, but an expensive one!Pam R

If you don't mind my asking but what is fingernailing mean?

I don't know "what" fingernailing is, but here is a link to an old post. This is probably the worst case of fingernailing I've ever seen. In the 1st post he has a great pic of it. http://www.craftserver.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4295&highlight=fingernailing

It can look like mottling but it isn't. I hate it because I don't even understand the cause.

BTW, on one of my batches, I "cooked" the wax at 220 for 30 minutes added more vybar then used a water bath. (I haven't done a water bath in at least 5 yrs but I was desperate) It produced the strangest candle of all. Small cracks vertical cracks through out the entire outside of the candle. Actually kind of cool, but what caused it I don't know.

Karen B

Let's get a grip here. Paraffin is a natural product and its properties vary.

1343 has never been just one wax. There is probably more than one crude feedstock it comes from and more than one place it's refined and blended. What's sold as 1343 is a plain paraffin that falls within a certain range of properties.

For instance, its melt point can be between 136 and 141 and its viscosity can be between 3.5 and 4.5. That's a big range - big enough to kill your burn if your candle design is too close to the limit of what your wick can handle. LX 12 is a small wick for a pillar. I can't say exactly what you're running up against without knowing more about the candle and seeing it burn, but I suspect decreasing the additives has the best chance of helping.

As for fingernailing, it is basically the same thing as mottling. More additive will get rid of it. That sort of thing can easily vary between batches of wax.

not sure what happened to my post, lol. These pillars are small, so the lx12 is perfect. I know wax changes, but I've never had this happen with this wax and I've used it for a very long time. The proof is in the pudding, lol. Made 2 identical candles, one with new 1343, one with some left from previous purchase. The lx12 burns like a dream in the old wax, but won't even stay lit in the new wax. Even tried a 60C, htp105, and eco 12--barely stays lit in the new wax. So, I'll just have to make wickless candles with the new stuff. I guess I should contact the supplier or igi just let them know what is going on, but it's always 'our' fault, not the manufacturer.PamR