To those of you that make hair care products

Jujutwin

I'm hoping someone can help me with this. I know a girl who is 29 with long hair to the middle of her back. Her hair is really thick, but lately it has not only started thinning out, but she can't seem to stop the dead ends. She's never had dead ends before this year. She has stopped using gels & hair sprays. She brushes her hair from the ends up, after shampooing, she never uses rubber bands, she is trying everything she can think of to stop these dead ends.

Does anyone have tips, tricks, or makes something that can stop these dead ends? I told her I would ask the pros on this site because I have no idea what she should do.

Thanks for any help you can give her!

She brushes her hair from the ends up!

Do you mean roots up? I hope you do because if she's brushing from the ends, then that's the cause.

Also, hair gets used to all those tools - gels and sprays. Certain products have "leave behind" effects, for example Pantene leaves a waxy buildup that forces that shine and effect of no split ends, so discontinuing use, depending on the product may be making it worse.

Did her diet change? Any medicine changes? Any hair care product changes (like shampoo and conditioner, brands of styling products, colorants)? Any major life issues that could cause stress? (I asked the same question to my stylist.) When was the last trim of at least 1/2"? I never had hair that long until this summer after the baby (it's all gone now, chopped 16 inches off) but regular trims are a must especially as a woman gets older, from what she told me.

Lots of things contribute to a woman's body and changes and there are a number of things that could be causing, for a poor choice of words, lackluster hair.

A thing I was told that can help, is if instead of brushing right after a wash, wait until it's damp then use a detangler. This helps from two ways, wet hair is easier to break and tangle and the second the detangler will add a layer of conditioning.

Another idea was that if it's horribly bad to where it's tangling into itself at the ends, every 3 weeks for at least 3 times, trim 1/2" off. I don't know if this is a wives tale or a truth, but it seemed to work for me. It trimmed out some of the worst of the ends, which made it tangle less and less split ends formed and you don't take drastic measures all at once and cut too much off that you don't want.

I hope I've been able to help some, I only know what this one summer taught me and a few questions from my stylist.

ETA: And one thing I was told by my favorite stylist - try to use the same brand/line of products that you use for everything else. They are tested, but only with each other, not other brands. Now, this woman knows I won't touch a salon product, but told me if I used Suave shampoo to use Suave styling products, or the same with Pantene etc.

Another idea was that if it's horribly bad to where it's tangling into itself at the ends, every 3 weeks for at least 3 times, trim 1/2" off. I don't know if this is a wives tale or a truth, but it seemed to work for me. It trimmed out some of the worst of the ends, which made it tangle less and less split ends formed and you don't take drastic measures all at once and cut too much off that you don't want..

Thanks for this advice, I am struggling with almost this same problem, only thing is I don't want to loose any length, but I need to do something to get rid of those pesky split ends. 1/2" at a time wouldn't be too noticeable.

Then I will just have to find a way to keep the split ends away after getting them cut off. I really don't use many styling products and usually only blow dry once a week if at all. I have heard that using a clarifying shampoo once every week or two will help cut the build-up from styling products with a lot of cones in them. I do that and it always makes my hair feel so much softer afterwards.

I look forward to seeing more replies to this thread!

Guest jurnalynn

it is a myth that your hair grows faster if u trim it........what it really does is to cut the dead ends off before they break off it gives you the illusion that its growing faster because the healthier hair isn't breaking as for the hair thinning out could be a vitamin defincientcy this has been known to cause allopecia arreata (can't spell today) which is baldness in spots.... i know from personall experiences that changes in our bodys change our hair after every baby i lost hair in gobs i am a nursing mom so i think that goes into the baby taking everything from me as far as vitamins thank god i have really thick hair. and during my second pregnancy my curly hair went stick straight after the baby i got my curls back. i'm still trying to figure that one out

editing to reply to this

"Do you mean roots up? I hope you do because if she's brushing from the ends, then that's the cause."

you should brush it from the ends down that is alway how i did it moving up your hairs so your pulling the nots and tangle out without ripping through your hair and breaking it more always have done it this way and my hair was down to my waste before i donated 16 inches to locks of love if your hair is natually curly it tangles easier i always braid mine before bed to prevent getting rats nests at the nape opf my neck

i'm a licinced cosmetologist so i know a little of what i'm talking about.........lol

Laura

You guys are so great! I am copying these posts and printing them out for her. Thank you soo much!!

As for the brushing of her hair out, she starts at the bottom and slowly moves up to the top of her head. I don't know anything about her diet changes if any, or any stresses in her life. I'll let you know how it all turns out. She has really beautiful hair.

Thank you again!

I have been having the same problem lately my ends are coarse and dry. My beautician said I was using to many hydrating products that had protein in it and I had a protein buildup. I have Fine hair but it is also naturally curly she told me to stick with products for fine hair and not coarse and curly hair.

She recommended Matrix Biolage Forte Therapie to put elasticity back in my hair best thing that I have ever used now I want to throw all my other products away.

Says it helps hair's vitality and elasticity and makes hair more managable.

Find out what kind of products she is putting in her hair?

HTH

Barbara