Say what?

Scented

For years we've been trying to grab the .com version of our website and lo and behold now someone wants to sell it to us for a whopping $997, when it has never had anything on it.

But for a 24-hour time limit if we enter something comparable to that asking price ... we could be the proud owner of a .com and our .net. Value of the .com is $10. Value of our .net has gone from $600 to $500, but shit ... who needs this .com?

Actually, I'm inclined to think it a little bit of a scam, because why wouldn't the owner just offer it for sale and why sell something that has never been nothing unless they honestly think we're going to bite?

Some people or businesses buy these names in bulk in hopes to resell and make a quick buck. They will seek out businesses with a similar name thnking that you will think that the dot com is everything. If they asked a fortune they would risk a popssible lawsuit from you for cybersquatting but buy keeping it in the 500 to 1000 dollar range it would cost you more to take then to court for it so basically you will either be suckered into buying it or just pass and they will keep it for another year. If they buy in bulk they can pay as little as a few dollars a year but keep your eyes out if it doesnt move after some time eventually they let it go.

The .com version of my business name was bought within a day of me registering my business. I was ticked (and posted it on here when it happened! LOL)

I refused to buy it from the guy and bought the hyphenated version instead. I kept checking it to see when it was available and eventually went to Godaddy to see about their "offer" thing to buy it.

The guy at Godaddy told me it was available and I was able to buy it right then! Lucky me!!

Anyway, I understand your frustration but agree, it's not worth that much money. Just keep an eye on it and maybe you'll get lucky too!!