Using a place name for business name, pros and cons?

coconut

I'm having the usual struggle with a business name. Don't want to use my name because it is long and hard to pronounce and spell. I have been against using a place name because if you move, then it might seem dumb. However, DH says we are never moving (we already live in Paradise) and a place name is attractive. The name would be XXXX Island Candle Company, or something like that. It is available as a web site. Yes, it is a real island but I don't want to post the name up here. I know many of you use the name of where you live. How has this worked out for you? Also, I may sell some things besides candles like refurbished antiques or stained glass, so I'm not sure about putting Candle in the name. Any opinions? TIA, Coconut

Well I like it, but it also sounds give one of those tourist shops that sell the T-Shirts, shot glasses, key chain kind of stuff. But I love the name you choose here. Coconut sound so fun to me. So if you dont go with the place you live you could call it Coconut Island Candle Company. And if you are going to sell other things then maybe drop the candle in your name.

This is just my opinions but I am sure you will love what ever you pick. HTH

Antonia

My name is a place name and not a place I am located in. I get very few hits on my site from searches on the location name alone; like one in a month. I had one couple who asked if I was from there as it is where they grew up and other than that no one has even questioned it (it is not a real well-known spot). It is just a relaxing place and brings a smile to my face so I went with it. If it makes you happy - go for it.

Well I like it, but it also sounds give one of those tourist shops that sell the T-Shirts, shot glasses, key chain kind of stuff. But I love the name you choose here. Coconut sound so fun to me. So if you dont go with the place you live you could call it Coconut Island Candle Company. And if you are going to sell other things then maybe drop the candle in your name.

This is just my opinions but I am sure you will love what ever you pick. HTH

Antonia

Ha, we do have a shop like that here, although most of our tourists are fishermen. I like the name Coconut also and I have tried to come up with a name that includes this word. It is especially fitting since I have so many coconut palms in my yard. I wanted Coconut Cottage but that is already taken. Maybe I'll look at that idea again. Many thanks!

My name is of the place I live in and it sells a lot of candles for me. I live in a tourist town and they like the fact that it says the name of the town on it. I even have several accounts in the state that still like the name as a marketing tool because it shows it was made in NY state.

Hi TraciS, I had been trying to come up with a name that did not have candles in it, because of other stuff I may dabble in. Over the weekend DH told me to forget that and focus on the candles (I was pouring all weekend!). So I have registered the web site coconutcottagecandles.com, and that is what I plan to go with. (also checked my state's name list and the Fed trademark list). For my logo I'll just take a picture of my house. It is a wee little Florida cottage with a bunch of coconut palms in front. Always makes me happy when I hit the driveway, so that fits in with your theme too. Very nice, quiet, and relaxing. I'm going for the "vacation in a jar" theme and I think this will do fine. Thanks for asking. :D

Thats sound great. I am glad you went with coconut in the name. And plus with the way you described your house it sounds the the perfect name for you. GL

Antonia

Antonia, thanks for the encouragement. I have received a lot of positive feedback about the name Coconut. I wanted something that seemed like Florida, seemed handmade, and would make people feel good. I think I found it, and you helped. :cool2: