layering fragrances

i am currently burning a candle that is made up of the ends of several different candle pourings, so many different layers of scents. it's been fun to burn. i started out smelling creme brulee this morning and now am smelling oatmeal cookie and didn't even have to change candles. :)

so that got me to thinking....would a layered fragrance candle sell well? would you starkly contrasting scents or similar scents?

just wondering if anyone has tried this.

I haven't tried more than 3 layers at a time but these smell delish together.

Strawberry Cheesecake (top)

Vanilla (middle)

Blueberry Cobbler (bottom)

Sweet Chestnuts (top)

Hazelnut (middle)

Hazelnut Cappuccino (bottom)

I have often considered making "this and that" candles from extra when pouring batches but never have done it. You have peaked my curiousity again . . . I just may keep a spare jar on my workbench and give it a try. I think they would be fun :D

Oh, I *love* layered candles. Just like you said - it slowly melds one yummy scent into another.

I've purchased things in the past like vanilla/caramel/sugar cookie. And Pumpkin Pie/Caramel/Spicy Vanilla. Chocolate/Coffee/Biscotti.

I'd definitely line up to purchase layered candles from you ;)

I thought I was the only one who did that! I just love to burn those candles. I've made layered candles with no more than three scents and they seem to go over well. I picked scents that I liked but didn't necessarily "go" together and then colored each layer accordingly. No theme or anything like that.

I have also been playing around with layered candles but am having a problem with wicking. Do you always layer scents that require the same wick? If not, do you go with the higher wick? I did that in my latest test but think that one of the layers burned too hot since I ended up with black stuff on the jar. TIA!!!

I've been making these for years and have several customers who only buy this type of candle. I price them less than the same size in my regular candles and use jars I just want to get rid of, so it's a winner for me. (For some reason, I always have jars on hand that I've decided not to use for one reason or another!)

I started out pouring these for myself just to use when testing new jars but one of my regular customers saw one I was burning and wanted one like it, so I just always keep them "in process" as I'm pouring now.

I charge less because these are the ones made from my "leftovers"--usually an ounce or less of each scent. These aren't really time-consuming since I just empty my pot into the jar that's sitting there.

My "real" layered candles--where I use three scents/colors in a planned fashion with coordinating scents (bakery, fruit, floral, cookies, etc.)--yes, I charge $1 more per candle than for the same size in one scent. With these, I have to pour a fragrance, wait for it to set up, pour the next, etc., but with the "Days End" candles, I keep a few jars ready and pour into whichever jar has the top layer already set up; they're just odds and ends and people have no idea what they're getting.

One of my best sellers is a trio we call "bed n' Breakfast" top layer is flapjacks, middle is warm buttery gingerbread and the bottom is iced cinnie bunn. We do a few others, like "cookie jar"' cheesecake layers , "morning muffins" layered coffee cake scents etc...